Studio Monitors

xxfatclownxx

Hello, I am pretty new to home recording, and I am new to the forum. I record guitar and bass through my Line6 Guitarport. I do not have any studio monitors, just some decent computer speakers with a subwoofer (Altec Lansing speakers). I was wondering what major differences there are between studio monitors and regular speakers. Of course studio monitors have to be of good quality, but why wouldn't say a good quality computer speaker set work as monitors. Also, if I decide to get monitors, what are some decent sounding monitors for a relatively low price ($150 - $250). I have also seen studio monitor subwoofers and I was wondering if these were necessary for a home studio. Thank you.

xxfatclownxx said:
I was wondering what major differences there are between studio monitors and regular speakers. Of course studio monitors have to be of good quality, but why wouldn't say a good quality computer speaker set work as monitors.

The goal of monitors is to provide a neutral uncolored sound at a listening position close to the speakers. The sound kind of drab compared to most consumer systemts.

xxfatclownxx said:
Also, if I decide to get monitors, what are some decent sounding monitors for a relatively low price ($150 - $250). I have also seen studio monitor subwoofers and I was wondering if these were necessary for a home studio. Thank you.

I picked up a pair of Event PS6s off eBay for ~$275.

i just won a pair of m audio 5bs off ebay for like $130, i'll let you know how well they work when they get here?

If you look around, you can find the M-Audio BX5's for under $200. They have nice detail in the midrange, but function best with a subwoofer.

I think subs for monitors are a bad idea. The way that subs sound as a function of placement is tremendously variable.

Fatclown,

Firstly, Welcome to the forum, there's a whole bunch of very resourceful fellow home recording enthusiasts around here that will help with any problem that may arise.
Secondly as apl stated earlier "The goal of monitors is to provide a neutral uncolored sound". Basically studio monitors are designed to give you as close to a flat response across the frequency bands as possible. They are designed to let you hear exactly what you record or have recorded so during your mixdown process you can achieve an accurate balance of where each instument is sitting in repect to its desired frequency range, allowing you to give each instrument its own space for definition.
Monitor speakers are an essential link in the chain of recording and mixdown so that your recordings transpose well onto all types of stereo systems eg boom boxes, car stereo etc.

Thanks for all the info. I've been looking at some monitors and most of the fairly cheap ones (and some of the less cheap) can play frequencies of 50hz - around 20Khz. Is this range good, or would some sound be lost in higher and lower frequencies? Thanks.

xxfatclownxx said:
Thanks for all the info. I've been looking at some monitors and most of the fairly cheap ones (and some of the less cheap) can play frequencies of 50hz - around 20Khz. Is this range good, or would some sound be lost in higher and lower frequencies? Thanks.

Your ears don't know nothin' 'bout anything above 20k. There are very few instruments that produce anything below 50.

JBL Control 2P Reference Monitors in combination with a Pioneer sub!

JBL Control 2P's $199.99
Pioneer Subwoofer $299.99
Presonus Monitor Control Station - $299.99
Excellent combo for me!

JBL Control 2P's $199.99
Pioneer Subwoofer $299.99
Presonus Monitor Control Station - $299.99
Excellent combo for me!
Check the date this thread started and the last date before your post and how many times the OP ever posted here ~ both times of which are in this thread. They've not been heard from here since (unless under a new name and we don't know that).
It may help you in the future to check the dates of the posts, save you not wasting valuable time and info.

since it's been re-opened I pose a question: if you have a pair of Velodyne subs with 15/18 combination drivers, monster amps, would you WANT to accurately reproduce the sound of a depth charge in your home? :)

Back