Struggling to get Kontakt and Reaper to play together

Stringtheorist

OK, I'm not a complete newbie but I'm inexperienced enough to require some assistance with some pretty basic stuff. All I want to do is have several Kontakt instruments with their own dedicated tracks in Reaper, and to be able to trigger the sounds and record MIDI data using both my MIDI keyboard controller and the virtual keyboard in Kontakt. However it's proving to be a long and frustrating process.

So far, I can get only track 1 in Reaper (assigned Kontakt drums) to:
1) Play audio during recording and playback
2) Record MIDI data (only with the MIDI keyboard)

I cannot enter MIDI notes at all with the virtual keyboard in Kontakt.

Any attempt to replicate the results of track 1 in other tracks (eg, duplicating the track) fails. Instead:
1) No audio plays at all during triggering of the Kontakt instruments using either input device
2) MIDI data records but doesn't play back during recording or afterwards

I would be extremely grateful if someone could walk me through the process of troubleshooting all my system settings and integrating Kontakt with Reaper. Please speak as if explaining nuclear physics to a child.

Failing this, is there a good book that explains how to work with these two programs? I've run myself ragged going through their respective manuals but I'm getting nowhere.

Thanks in advance.

Try posting this again in the Reaper forum down below.... or even the MIDI forum. I've got MIDI working in Reaper based on mousing in stuff, but not Kontakt and not via a keyboard, so can't help you much, I'm afraid..

Back