Stereo Recording, from Start to Finish

nstodd

So I understand that during stereo recording, it always starts with either two mics or two lines (such as a keyboard L&R) but what is the input-output setup from start to finish? Where to "splitters" come into this? I understand stereo cables and how they work but obviously you can't plug two mics into a single cable, so they must come later in the process after going through some interface that converts the left and right signal into one cable?
In the Daw, I understand that if I put two mics on a drumkit and mix my two mono tracks panned hard left and right, that this is stereo. However when creating a new track and given the option "stereo track", are you giving that track one signal from your audio interface and just manipulating the panning in the daw, or does the stereo track somehow deal with two mono signals?
Thanks, I hope everyone's summer is good.

Not sure where your confusion comes in Nstodd?

Most DAWs default to a two track recording "stereo" if you will although you can usually set them up for multiple mono.

Attached is a stereo recording (BBC R4 rip) and you can see that each track is slightly different, two voices, two mics in different points in space.
If I were to modify that recording, EQ, compression, di-da, the DAW would treat it as a single entity and apply the modification equally to both channels.
If it were two MONO tracks (which would work equally well for stereo playback) FX would happen only on a track by track basis.

The top multitrackers and mixing men here will surely give further insights?

Dave.

Attachments

• sam stereo.jpg
    sam stereo.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 8
I understand stereo cables and how they work but obviously you can't plug two mics into a single cable, so they must come later in the process after going through some interface that converts the left and right signal into one cable?

What we would need to know is how you are planning on getting the stereo into your computer.

Are you just using the microphone input on the computer's soundcard?

Are are you doing something else?

The stereo track in your daw is feed by two mics plugged I to two inputs on the interface that are routed to that stereo track.

The stereo track in your daw is just two mono tracks panned hard in a single package. It's for convenience and to make certain types of processing easier.

If you have two mics, you will need an interface with two inputs. If you were thinking of trying to use the stock input on your laptop, and a Y-cable, it really won't work very well.

Who says you can't put two mics down one cable? I used to put 16 mics and four line signals down one cable all the time. It's just a matter of using the right cable.

thanks everybody
I am in the middle of doing research before building a home studio (haven't made any recording equipment purchases yet). The things that I will be recording in stereo will be acoustic jazz guitar, acoustic piano, and drumset (separately). I'll be using 2 small diaphragm condenser mics. I think i understand what your saying is that in the DAW, the input options for the stereo track will say 1-2/3-4/5-6 as numbered on the AI, and in mixing you can edit them as one instead of doing things twice with two mono tracks.

Who says you can't put two mics down one cable? I used to put 16 mics and four line signals down one cable all the time. It's just a matter of using the right cable.

You could argue that a 20 channel snake is actually 20 cables wrapped in one sheath, not actually one cable. But i get what you are saying.

You could argue that a 20 channel snake is actually 20 cables wrapped in one sheath, not actually one cable. But i get what you are saying.

Which is that a "cable" isn't a narrowly defined thing with a 1:1 relationship to a single channel of audio.

No, but when someone asks a question of this nature, it probably doesn't make much sense to go down that road.

I think it makes a lot of sense for everybody to use the same definitions for words. A lot of times people ask questions that use familiar words, but if what they mean by those words is different from the norm communication will be unreliable. This OP seemed to have a number of misconceptions about the words he was using. I would have worked in some clarification earlier in the process of answering his questions. He's already shown an ability to catch on quickly when offered more complete explanations.

I think many people get confused, probably rightly, by the words that often don't describe things properly. Two-channel and stereo are used as having the exact same meaning. They both use two paths between mics and recording equipment then inside it too. Stereo bolts the two channels together and locks them to create a soundfield that when listened to on two speakers, left and right, recreates the sense that you can close your eyes, and point to certain features. Like maybe with a string quartet, where the viola player is sitting , and with a drum kit perhaps a soundfield that puts you in the drummers seat, or more commonly just standing in front. Stereo piano lets you hear where on the keyboard hands are, and if you are on the pianist's side or the audience's. Stereo guitars in a deadish room sound mono if you are listening from more than a couple of metres. They are a point source. If you mic them up with two mics to get the fingers on the fretboard, and the fingers on the sound hole, then the result is not stereo, it's two channel, and you can eq each separately, and adjust the level and even effects on both to create something new. That isn't stereo. Novices often mess up stereo from the point of realism. A grand piano might be big, but if your 'stereo' technique produces an instrument that uses all the space between a listeners speakers, that's plain uncomfortable to listen to. Listening to a Jerry Lewis piano recording would be plain horrible, like watching ping pong at the Olympics, if they miked that up as left and right, panned hard. Can you picture how odd that would sound? So stereo recording should be dealt with on a purpose point of view. Stereo means what? Sounds like you are there on the front row, or there as in actually on stage? Perspective is everything. You have a recording, and you have the power, if you recorded it appropriately, to make it useful to a blind person, so they can picture where everything really was without their eyes. Equally, you can produce something totally wild that could never have existed practically. Both can legitimately be stereo. For me, my version of stereo is realism as if I was in that front row. Other people disagree and want something different. That's the end product. Up until that mix, I think I'd call everything twin track for accuracy, because the stereo effect doesn't exist at that stage. A/B or X/Y and others are legitimate stereo pairs of signal paths, but then convention is to always treat both legs the same to retain the realism. X/Y on drum overheads as I saw somebody do last week in a live show just fights with the panning of toms, snare and hats, wrecking the stereo X/Y can produce, on its own! What I do know is that proper stereo recording that works is very hard, probably tougher to get right than a multitrack.

"Stereo" started as a marketing term for a playback system with some amount of horizontal separation. At the time whether two or three channels was the minimum number to give the effect wasn't even settled, and it was mostly market forces that made it two rather than three. Market (or maybe marketing) forces eventually brought about the use of four speakers, (Quadraphonic and Dolby Surround), then five (Dolby Pro Logic), then six (Pro Logic II, Dolby Digital, DTS) and more (7.1, 7.2 etc.). All of those fall under the original meaning of stereo. Any audio media with more than one channel with any audible difference between them can be considered stereo.

Stereo mic technique is more defined because you have (or at least someone has) a real experience to compare to, so results can be evaluated objectively. That's why you can say that simply using two mics is not automatically stereo. It requires that the playback reproduce the spatial characteristics of the original sound in some recognizable (and pleasing) way.

It can be confusing. It's possible to use a stereo mic technique and sum the channels to a mono signal, and it's possible to use two mics in a non-stereo configuration and pan them to a stereo signal. Stereo means different things depending on the context.

You can create a stereo mix from mono track recordings...but you need at least two mics to record in stereo as a stereo track.

DAWs confuse the issue by offering dual-mono that look like stereo, because they are coupled/grouped as one "track" in the DAW.

Back