Stereo mic output to what device?

Tvnewsbadge

Sorry for my ignorance but I see these stereo mics and wonder if they would serve any purpose inputting into something like the Sony a7 camera series or the Sony PCM 10 recorder:

I am especially interested in what use I might be able to make of those hand held mics with the x-y (?) configuration with either the video cameras or the recorder

Thanks

Last edited:
Don't have one yet, but am wondering if I can get some use out of something like the Audio-TechnicaAT2022 X/Y Stereo.

Not sure how that connects, does it run through a standard xlr connector?

From the website:

"The AT2022 is a condenser microphone designed for stereo recording. Two unidirectional condenser capsules in an X/Y configuration pivot to allow for narrow (90°) or wide (120°) stereo operation. The capsules also fold flat for storage and transportation. Designed for general stereo recording and field sound capture, the AT2022 provides the spatial impact and realism of a live sound field. The microphone comes equipped with a stand clamp, AA battery, fuzzy windscreen and .5 m cable that terminates in a 3.5 mm stereo plug."

With decent sensitivity of about 8mV/Pa that microphone should work well into what I would suspect are not stellar pre amps in cameras and such.

To use such a mic with a conventional AI with XLR inputs would require a patch box with two 1:1 transformers and the necessary connectors. Hardly worth the trouble when matched pairs of SDCs can be had for less money overall I would think and give rather better performance (the 2022 has a modest overload point of 122dB SPL and could be embarrassed by a guitar amp or drums)

Dave.

Actually they say the preamps on the Sony a7 series are pretty good for that kind of device.
But I take it since the mic has a stereo plug, it would be wasted on a device that only has a mono input

Actually they say the preamps on the Sony a7 series are pretty good for that kind of device.
But I take it since the mic has a stereo plug, it would be wasted on a device that only has a mono input
Are you sure it's mono? The specs say 2-channel; internal and external.

No I'm not. I'm assuming mono input because there is only one by display when I set the audio levels.
I think the internal mic is stereo for sure though

No I'm not. I'm assuming mono input because there is only one by display when I set the audio levels.
I think the internal mic is stereo for sure though
From B&H Photo, the audio recording specs for the A7.....

"Audio Recording
Built-in Mic: With Video, Stereo
Optional External Mic: With Video, Stereo"

Likely only one display since the gain for left and right can't be be set be set independently.

An x/y mic is a pretty common mic mounted on camcorders and from the electrical point of view, works ok there are a few caveats with powering, but that AT can use batteries too, can't it?

The killer is what it sounds like. With the camera locked down on a tripod, a motorbike appearing in the frame right and disappearing left sounds right. What happens when you pan the camera? It stays central. Is that much use? Even worse when the sound source stays static and you pan across it. To convention is that the sound stage stays the same when you pan, unless it's for specific purpose. Imagine the crowd at a football game moving with the camera? Very disturbing. In the edit suite, coping with moving stereo sound takes a lot of time. Hence why most pro cameras have twin track rather than stereo inputs. Much more useful. Some domestic cameras even have 5.1 stereo. For wild tracks on a wide shot, fine. For anything else, it just sounds odd when the camera moves. On camera is the worst place for a mic anyway, but often the only choice. Camera mounted mics for me get used as secondary audio. There are so many better solutions. On camera is fallback.

Aye Rob good points.
My garden recording setup presently has but one camera (had 2 but one died) and I intend to set up more including one with remote panning if funds ever permit.

But! I am only ever going to need one set of stereo* mics!

*Presently 2, V cheap "uni" dynamics spaced 4ft apart about 2ft affront of the camera. I am going to try a co-I setup as well. Your thoughts on this gratefully received !

Dave.

I discovered the problems that Rob describes when involved with our super low-budget video-making efforts.

But there are ways around it. The mike doesn't need to sit atop the camera. I made up a long extension for the microphone, the stuck it on a stand and positioned it where it would capture the best sound for the project. The long extension allowed the camera to roam freely, and it was shooting two-camera dialogues with just the one. These days, the extension isn't necessary: it's done via bluetooth.

I discovered the problems that Rob describes when involved with our super low

Grr! Won't do the complete quote! Anyway, isn't Bluetooth sound even crappier than crap MP3?

If not how do you go about interfacing two mics to a BT transmitter ?
I would also like some expert feedback on windgags? My leaning at the moment is for two Rycote "spheres" at about $100 apiece.

Dave.

Anyway, isn't Bluetooth sound even crappier than crap MP3?

If not how do you go about interfacing two mics to a BT transmitter ?
I would also like some expert feedback on windgags? My leaning at the moment is for two Rycote "spheres" at about $100 apiece.

Dave.

I don't know much about Bluetooth. Maybe it's not Bluetooth. All I know is that they are using wireless mikes of some sort. The signal either goes from the remotely-located X-Y to the camera, or to a field recorder (such as a Zoom). This was done in our theatre recently: a camera located in the balcony was fed a wireless signal from a stereo pair near the stage.

As for outside and wind problems, Rode make a variety of deadcats which are around $AUS50.

Back