static sound on my yamaha hs80/sub monitors

mofat

I'm using these on my roland v-studio 100 interface which have 1/4" jack ouputs. At first I thought it was the long cheap xlr to trs cables so I switched them out for shorter ones. Granted they're not quad canare or mogami but they're short as possible. When playing Overwatch (video game) I hear more static than on shows. Then thinking maybe its because ground loop or something so i plugged them all into the same powerstrip...but the noise hasn't completely gone away. Any ideas? I guess I can try another interface to rule out bad gear.

You are using the Roland's balanced +4dBu outputs 1&2? The other LR outs are -10dBV and unbalanced.

I notice also that the unit has an earth terminal and connecting an earth wire to that might help or might make things worse! If you ARE using balanced I/O all round then it might be necessary to lift the earth, pin one, at one end of each XLR. Or get a transformer isolator.

Dave.

When playing Overwatch (video game) I hear more static than on shows.
I would tend to think this may be something to do with processing in the computer (video processor?) that might noise up the USB in some way since it seems dependent on what you are doing on the computer. Have you taken a listen with headphones to see if the 'static' is present or not?
Is there anything else plugged into inputs or other connections on the V-Studio besides monitor outs that noise could be induced into?

Back