Starting from scratch! Building a machine.

mikeybuildings

I`m looking to build a machine that can handle Cubase. I`m looking to use the Scarlett Focusrite 6i6 as an interface. I guess if anyone can give me some spec insight, that would be great.

Tell us more.
Do you have a computer already? Do you have a budget?
Mac or windows?
Up to date version of cubase?
What are you planning to use it for? Many simultaneous live inputs? Lots of VSTs? What would your average full-session track count, and average vet count be?

These days most off the shelf i5/i7 machines are going to be more than enough, but it's still good to know what your plans are.
At the current prices I wouldn't' bother with i3 or anything older.

Nah, I`m looking to start from scratch. Building a windows machine. I figured a 64x motherboard, i7 processor, 16gigs of ram to get it started. 1 120gig ssd drive for the OS and software, plus a 1tb drive for storage. I`ve just heard from a buddy that his machine blue screens on him every so often. Maybe because he`s running things that call for to many resources.. I`m looking to use Cubase 7.5 (latest). Its really just for recording guitars, bass, and vocals. Then look into something to program the drums.

Nah, I`m looking to start from scratch. Building a windows machine. I figured a 64x motherboard, i7 processor, 16gigs of ram to get it started. 1 120gig ssd drive for the OS and software, plus a 1tb drive for storage. I`ve just heard from a buddy that his machine blue screens on him every so often. Maybe because he`s running things that call for to many resources.. I`m looking to use Cubase 7.5 (latest). Its really just for recording guitars, bass, and vocals. Then look into something to program the drums.

Nah, Blue screen isn't a symptom of pushing a machine too hard. It's a system of setting it up wrong, or hardware incompatibilities.
He's probably got failing hardware, incompatible hardware, or the wrong drivers for something.

Any i7/16gb/120gbssd is going to be fine for that kind of thing. :)

I haven't seen a blue screen in years. I would say your buddy's machine has a hardware problem. RAM/Video card would be the first suspect. As stated by Steen, i7 (or AMD as I am a fan) off the shelf, then you can modify with SSD and added RAM would be the way I would go.

Also, as stated, some DAWs use more CPU than others (Reaper for example is very efficient on system resources) and then adding the VSTs.

Tracking is not going to be your issue, mixing is going to be your issue. That is where the real processing need comes in for the most part. 20 tracks, regardless how they came in is still 20 tracks.

My only suggestion is, get a decent graphics card (enough to keep the load off the system) and you can pretty much spec out a decent system and then depending on what the interface is going to be, determine what is going to require from a card support. If you go Thunderbolt or Firewire, then you need to find that card and make sure you have a slot to accommodate it. That will be your biggest obstacle.

Build from scratch has some inherent downfalls. Dell, HP, or Lenova have R&D departments that can try 100s of combinations to get a great, stable system. Companies like Cybertron, Cyberpower, or IBuyPower let you select your own components, but there's no guarantee that what you're putting together will fly right...

Now for the other side. Most systems that are designed to be ultra stable have too much overhead running. HP is notorious for this. It's really hard to get rid of the software junk out of these machines.

Nuts and bolts: What you've put together as a system to record with sounds good, with one caveat. Bump your storage drive up or get an external. 2TB or even 3TB drives are not that much more expensive. Be sure you're using 7200 or 10000 RPM drives. Higher quality (and cost) motherboards will be more stable. The Biostar Z87X 3D has everything you'd ever want (including two x16 3.0 slots for graphics cards). If you're not worried about gaming on your recording machine, try the ASRock Z87 Pro4 which actually includes an SPDIF output... Remember you don't need the fastest processor possible to record music. Many here are recording on i3's and doing well. It doesn't take that much to record two or three tracks at a time, and even 16 live can be done on a properly set up i5. It has more to do with how your OS is set up than the speed of your processor. When you look at cases, power supplies, and fans, look for low noise options as loud fans make it hard to keep the unit in the room with you while recording...

For the most part, whatever you put together should work as long as you stay with known brands and not get a ItchiePoochie hard drive or the like.

Which AMD processor are you using? I`ve been cringing at those i7 prices lol.

I would have to go look, but it has 6 cores, they have some out there with 8 cores. If you go AMD, just make sure it is one of their upper end CPUs and not a lower end, 6+ cores and decent clock speed. So far in my system (using Ableton which is a resource hog) and only 8 gigs of RAM, I see around 30-50% CPU utilization with some spikes above 75%. Those tracks/VSTs that do consistently go higher I will freeze the track and problem solved.

Many of the DAWs out there are not really using 64 bit processing (Reaper being the exception I am pretty sure). I am using Ableton and while it works on 64 Bit, it has not been recoded for 64 bit processing. My understanding is, 64 bit versions of the software is just taking advantage of the upper RAM (above 4G) and other than that provides little more benefit. Muli-threading, 64bit pipes, etc. They are not really using.

Also be aware many DAWs do not have a 32bit bridge for older VSTs. That means, 32bit VSTs will not work in 64Bit software package without a bridge.

The vishera series AMD's are supposed to be fabulous. Pick a price point for quad, hex and even oct-core processor. Lots of power there for the $80-150 range.

The vishera series AMD's are supposed to be fabulous. Pick a price point for quad, hex and even oct-core processor. Lots of power there for the $80-150 range.

I would say, if you are looking at a quad Intel, go with a 6 core AMD, AMD runs usually performance wise, a little under Intel. As a general rule.

Yeah specing out with an AMD FX-8320 looks like its going to be the most cost effective ways to go, and should handle what I`m looking to do in cubase. Thanks guys!

I am running this
AMD FX 6300 Black Edition Six Core Processor Socket AM3+ - FD6300WMHKBOX - Scan.co.uk

With an Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 MOBO because it was listed together (I am not PC smart enough to mate a MOBO and a PROC!) .

I have not pushed it but it seems very swift and never stalls no matter what I do.
I went for that Asus MOBO because it was one of few I could afford which had two PCI slots as I needed to fit two 2496 soundcards and sync them.

I agree about BSODs, should never see them now. I have just stripped out an old E-Systems Dixons Foxconn with a 3G P4 in it and installed Win732 bits for my grandson. Yes, I had trials and setbacks but two days have seen it fly right (but SO many fekkin' updates!) and I think it will serve him well for homework if not the latest wargame!
Just waiting on a USB 3.0 PCI-e card from 'zon so I can download many gigs of shit I MIGHT need from the second 130G drive.

Dave.

"FX 6300 Black With an Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 MOBO because it was listed together (I am not PC smart enough to mate a MOBO and a PROC!) .

Dave."

This is exceptional advice. Buying a paired MB and CPU will give you a matched set AND more than likely save you a few $.

I would only caution, bundled deals usually add a lower grade MB. Make sure it is a good one. You can always look at the specs on the bundle and match that to another MB to make sure you are getting a good board. The quality of the board (IO chips, buffer, etc.) really play into the performance. It is not hard, just look at your target CPU, do a few searches, little research (just enough to know, not to be an expert) and you can have a system that should last 5+ years, easy.

Also (not sure if this has been stated as I didn't go back to read), get a good power supply, 650 or above good quality should do it. It will last forever, the ones they put in a case are usually so low grade they die within a couple of years.

Good luck. Keep us updated.

"FX 6300 Black With an Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 MOBO because it was listed together (I am not PC smart enough to mate a MOBO and a PROC!) .

Dave."

This is exceptional advice. Buying a paired MB and CPU will give you a matched set AND more than likely save you a few $.

Well! Stone me! This is the first time that I have EVER been judged to give "exceptional" advice on computer matters!!!

You would however be well advised to heed DM60's caveats. I had better explain my build in more detail...

Post the XP abandonment I needed a second, fairly powerful PC in Win7/64 OS but cost was a factor. Then there was the two PCI slots issue I mentioned. Much Googling about threw up the Asus and since, as I said, I don't have the smarts to marry a CPU to a MOBO the bundle looked the bizz. NB All I got was MOBO and processor, I had some ram which I hoped would fit (it did).

I had a case with PSU, 450W iirc, but this proved too small! I therefore tried a local PC repair guy and he came up with a case, no sides (not bothered) but a working PSU and DVD drive. 30quid, do for me!

Everything went together swimmingly till I came to connect the monitor.NO FEKKIN' VGA PORT! The MOBO does not have on board graphics. This time a trip to Maplins and another £30 lighter and I had a passively cooled* graph card..AT LAST I could get on and install Win 7 which went very well and the PC is still going strong. BTW, to install W7 on a HDD that has XP on it you have to format the disc. If I had had Vista it would have just upgraded.

*This ran hotter than I liked in fact after 20 mins you could not leave a finger on the sink. Maps again and I got a whisper 80mm fan and with some semi-rigid foam wedged it to blow on the card. Barely gets above ambient now.

Stop press: Just had a 4 port USB 3.0 PCIe card arrive from "eLife Store ltd (amazon) note the card comes with a USB 3.0 EXTENSION lead NOT a USB 3.0 card to device lead which I would have thought the more useful to most folks? In my case it wasn't because I only have one U3 device, a Seagate drive and that has a lead with it so the extension will be handy for me.

Dave.

Sites like newegg.com make it pretty easy to pair your CPU with a motherboard. After you choose a processor, take note of the socket type, and you can refine your motherboard search results by that same socket type. There should be options to further refine your search by slots, max RAM, and other criteria. I did this recently after being out of the custom build arena for a decade or so, and I was able to easily match up the hardware (and boy has the tech changed in the intervening time!).

Back