Starting from Scratch

Stewey

I recently got a fair amount of money from a relative, and am thinking about purchasing some recording equipment. However, I have absolutely NO knowledge of recording equipment whatsoever! All I'm looking to record is guitar tracks(mostly acoustic) and vocals. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could recommend brands, models, methods, etc to help me get started.

Also, if I have enough money, I'd also like to look into a CD-R system. Any suggestions about where to start there as well?

If y'all can email me or send me an ICQ message that'd be great. Here are my email and icq(in case it's not shown)

email: steweys@yahoo.com

Thanks!!

Stewey

Hey Stewey:

You might want to start out with a four track digital box; Sony or Yamaha. You could start with a tape box but digital is the way to go. This way, you can go through a smaller learning curve as you struggle to understand the manuals. You could also jump right into a Roland box and buy additional manuals to help you through the learning curve. You will also need a good vocal mic. This is purely subjective to your ears but you can, in many instances, rent first before you buy. If you live near a big dealer such as Full Compass, you can visit and listen to the gear. But, before you buy, be sure you like what you're paying for.

Happy starting,
The Green Hornet

Hello There Stewey, If you decide on a cassette tape based system,use what I use. Tascam 488MkII,A great machine thats a good buy today.run your mix through a BBE sonic maximizer,"the 262 is under a 100.00 dollars" and buy a philips dual cd recorder.you can mix down to the philips,so there's no loss in sound quality,this system is very capable of mind blowing results. you gain a cd player,make copies from it,Can't help you with the mic, I have a audio-technica At3525 condensor coming in the mail in a few days so I will have to wait see/hear the results on that, but as far as these items, they're all portable. Cassette tapes are inexpensive. I am new to this recording buss. to, but I can honestly say that the some parts of a project that I did on this equipment has sounded as good as some "pro" recordings I have heard. Good Luck! Hot Rocks

<<<<<
Tascam 488MkII,A great machine thats a good buy today..... philips dual cd recorder you can mix down to the philips, so there's no loss in sound quality,this system is very capable of mind blowing results.
<<<<<<<

Don't mean to be nidpickey, but the transfer from the 488 to the Philips CDR machine is an analog transfer and as such is not a loss free transfer. Mind you- I'd agree that <that> transfer won't degrade a 488 cassette recording to any noticeable degree, but in a forum that includes discussion of digital recording, it's important to know the difference between lossy analog transfers and non-lossy digital transfers.

[This message has been edited by drstawl (edited 09-27-1999).]

Hello there drstawl,Thanks for the clarification on my comment, But is it fair to say that dumping down to the cd is better as far as sonic value than to tape?

CDR definitely beats out the competition when it comes to saving mixed-down tracks. The only noise you'll hear originated with the 488.

Back