Starting out with UMC202HD

Faress Eissa

I have the UMC202HD audio interface, I want to try it out with my electric guitar and record something using Audacity on windows 10.
Audacity recognizes the interface clearly and the drivers are installed but after I connect the guitar into the interface it seems that there is no signal at all.
If can someone take me through the steps to solve this problem Id be very thankful.

There is a button 'LINE/INST'. Do you have the button depressed for 'INST' (instrument). Then adjust the 'GAIN' knob for the channel you have it plugged into until you see signal on the LED. If the clip LED lights you have too much gain.

Hi Faress and welcome. EVERYONE plugs in a mic or guitar with their first interface and tries to record! Wrong way to go about things.

Start by listening, to the OUTPUT of the AI. Make sure W10 has the box set as "Default play & record Device". I am not familiar* with 10's Sound setup but I doubt it is much different from W7? Find the speaker icon btm right chevron by the time&date..

Once you have a CD or YT playing in your headphones, THEN move on to guitar. As Mark say, "Instr" input and get the LED blinking, toggle the Direct Monitoring button for sound.

N.B. Audacity is a very good, free audio editor, it can be used for home recording but is not ideal. Once you have your sounds sorted out try Reaper, free so long as you can put up with the nag screen. You might find the totally free MAGIX Samplitude Pro X Silver suits you better. Other free software (called "DAWs") Studio One, Mixcraft.

*I HAVE a W10 desktop it is just finding the time and space to set it up! I am also dragging heels because I HATE it!

Dave.

That thing comes with a really good ASIO driver, that I just added to my Round Trip Latency comparison chart recently....definitely use that! I can't remember if Audacity can take ASIO, but if it can't, ditch it. I'm pretty sure it can

Back