SPLs and loud amps. How do you know how many SPLs your amp is hitting?

zenpeace69

I have a Marshall JMP halfstack. It has a master volume, so I can get some decent crunch tones without completely anhillating my ears, but when my condenser mics arrive, how will I know how many SPLs my amp is putting out to assure I don't over do it to the microphone?

Most newer condensers can take more spl's than your ears can. The amp really can't get that loud.

If you don't believe me, spend the $25 and get an SPL meter at radio shack.

I wouldn't worry about the spl level too much with most modern mics. The only concern would be a ribbon mic at this point. Most mics are capable of around 130db or higher, chances are your guitar cab would not be capable of more than 125 or so anyway. and that would be a at certain frequencies and not across the entire spectrum anyway.

Unless you are pushing a lot of bass at a lot of volume you are not likely to damage a mic. But that much volume will probably blow your ears first so you wont really notice if the mic isn't working properly.

Track Rat said:
Get a Rat Shack SPL meter. A great tool to have around the studio.

I rely heavily on mine, but it does cap out at 126dBSPL, and if you put it 1" from the grille, the amp will be able to exceed that.

As for your mics, it's not necessarily that it will be damaged at loud volumes (until the volume gets pretty insane, or the mic gets air blasts from a kick drum or something), it's that the signal will be distorted or clipped above a certain level.

I work with the guiness book world record holder for worlds loudest guitarist. He was clocked at 129.5db. He had 60 marshall cabinets with 500 watt amps feeding each one. Your jmp halfstack isn't going to beat that. If the mic starts to sound like it's puking out, turn the amp down. There really is no reason for it to be that loud.

Back