Speakers Buzzing and Crackling

Cassidy1990

So I bought a pair of small, cheap $20 portable speakers just for listening to music. I notice that that some of my recorded songs cause extreme buzzing and crackling on these cheap speakers, though others do not. What's odd, is some songs I can turn the volume up very high without any issues, but others I can't even turn up half as high without crackling and buzzing. They all sound great on my good desktop speakers, on my monitors, and headphones.

Professionally produced songs, (i.e. Eric Clapton) of course sound great. Some of my home recorded songs sound great as well, for example orchestral compositions and some band songs. But, I have piano recordings, and those seem to have a lot of issues. I attached a picture of some frequency distribution comparisons. The left is of an orchestra piece that doesn't crack at all and the right is of a piano piece that cracks and buzzes on almost every note.

Frequency Comparison.jpg

I almost wonder if having more of every frequency helps make sure the speakers don't buzz. Maybe the lack of certain frequencies being present in the piano piece gives "room" for the speakers to buzz. I've tried different sampled pianos, modeled pianos, but still can't escape it.

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated!! I would love to be able to listen to those piano pieces on any speaker I'd like. Thanks in advanced!

Looking at those wave forms, I'm guessing you have to crank the volume up more for the one on the right, and those peaks are causing the problems. Use a compressor to tame the peaks - of course then your tracks may not sound the way you want them on other systems. :rolleyes:

Back