Sound Treatment Suggesion

deastudio

Hello Everyone,

Completely New, and this is my first post.

i have few question

1. I'm planning to use Acoustic Wedge Shape Foam 1'X1' for my 6'X6' Vocal booth With height of 8', Is this a good idea to get a good Recording- Focusrite 6i6 with Rode NT 1 A.

2. Planning to buy Yamaha HS8 , pretty confuse with HS 5 and HS 8 - As my monitoring room (place where i'll keep my desk and monitors) is 11' X 12' (approx), HS8 will produce flat in this room size. (yes i'm really into EDM, Rock so want HS 8)

Thanks in Advance
Please Suggest or Correct if i'm wrong

Consider me as a Noob, but i can understand

Sorry for English.
Peace
:)

[Bearer of Bad News]

Foam traps high end. You need broadband absorption. And a 6'x6' space is going to need SO much that there won't be much room left for a microphone. You'd much likely be far better off putting noise gear into the booth and singing in the room - assuming the room is reasonably well treated.

On to the room - Much of the same. You're going to need some pretty serious broadband trapping in that (nearly square) space.

Burn the foam. Well, don't burn it - It's probably poisonous.

Really not trying to bear the bad news here -- But I can tell you with a certain amount of experience. Been in rooms of that size and they're without exception, acoustic nightmares. a "base coat" of a dozen 2'x4'x4" broadband traps made them "somewhat bearable" (not good - just not sucking as bad). All four corners floor-to-ceiling and all four high-side corners focused on the mix position (at .38 the length of the long wall from the short wall - In your case, 4.5' from the short wall).

GRANTED -- People do with less. But this is just one of many "you get out what you put in" decisions.

And a 6'x6' space is going to need SO much that there won't be much room left for a microphone.

This point is repeatedly lost on 9 out of 10 guys who decide to build a "booth". :)
They just seem to be totally convinced that singing in a small, packed, dead space...will somehow sound better, than in a bigger open room.
Yeah...you need treatment in the room too...but even after treatment, the open room will still sound much better...and be about 10 times more comfortable. :D

We should have a sticky, "Don't Build A Vocal Booth", most of the rooms people are recording in already are smaller then a pro studio vocal booth.

This subject comes up repeatedly and always has a booth with square dimensions and Foam mentioned. There is nothing more uninspiring than singing in a cramped, small, dead space.

Alan.

Back