Sound Dampening

QuayCzar

Hello im new to the site and to home recording...

Wondring if anyone has any suggestions on cheap sound dampening techniques...im recording in my bedroom. ive built a 7' tall 3 sided frame out of PVC piping to act as a booth, wondering what i can use as walling for the frame to absorb sound...materials-wise.

Hello im new to the site and to home recording...

Wondring if anyone has any suggestions on cheap sound dampening techniques...im recording in my bedroom. ive built a 7' tall 3 sided frame out of PVC piping to act as a booth, wondering what i can use as walling for the frame to absorb sound...materials-wise.
Rigid fiberglass. There's a lot about it in the "studio building & display" forum

Rigid fiberglass, or similar, can be found cheaply, so i would call moving blankets the "lazy alternative".

I saw a documentary about the Travelling Willbury's and noticed in one segment they had moving blankets hanging on the walls and over furniture while recording. Seemed like a good practical idea to me.

I've used the moving blankets idea hung from a PVC pipe frame and it seemed to only take care of the high's. It did tighten up things a bit tho.

I'd think the fiberglass idea would be a better way to go. It dawned on me after I built everything that making some light weight frames for the fiberglass and installing them to the PVC piping (maybe with eye-hooks) wouldn't have been that much more of a job.

Luck man.....Kel

Things like blankets and foam pads (even stuff like Auralex) will really only affect high end and flutter echoes. The biggest issue with almost all small project/home studios is with bass and midrange issues. Proper broadband absorbtion and bass trapping requires much thicker and denser materials to be effective. Rigid fiberglass insulation (i.e. Owens Corning 703) or mineral wool (i.e. Rockwool) are the preferred materials. However, bags of pink fiberglass insulation stacked up in a corner will provide a fair degree of bass trapping on a tight budget.

If you're going to do a proper job of acoustic treatment, start with the low end and work your way up. A little self-education on studio acoustics will take you a long way. GIK Acoustics and Real Traps have great acoustics information on their websites that will get you headed in the right direction.

Blankets hanging over a frame will do something, but it might not be a good thing.

making some light weight frames for the fiberglass and installing them to the PVC piping (maybe with eye-hooks) wouldn't have been that much more of a job.

If this recording thing doesn't work out for you, you're going to ace getting a job in a curtain shop... always good to have a Plan B!

:D

Back