Sony Sound Forge Audio Studio??

RFrancis

I want to do some basic singer/songwriter home recording and it appeared that Cakewalk would be perfect. My wife surprised me for my birthday with Sony's Sound Forge Audio Studio. I think, however, that Cakewalk is still the program I need so would like to return it just wanted to corroborate this opinion. Audio Studio appears to have some recording capability but it given it's other focus of audio restoration, I feel it will lack many features. Can anyone respond to this and advise? Thank you!!

The AudioStudio version of SoundForge is basically a two-track (stereo) system....I use it for tracking and editing VO, and it's a pretty simple and robust tool for that purpose, but...
....if you need to layer more than two tracks, or integrate it with video, for example, you could upgrade it it with other Sony software like ACID, VEGAS etc., or use another multitrack program....
...there is a lot of love on these boards for Reaper, which might suit your needs very nicely, and it has many advantages in terms of price, CPU usage, etc, that may make it worth looking into as well....
..welcome to the boards!

I looked up Sony Sound Forge Audio Studio, and for the price range (69.99) I would look into N-track.

http://ntrack.com/

There's a section on this site dedicated to it. I've never used it, but I have seen it grow in popularity. It definitely looks like something to start with, and you can use VST and DX effects with it.

You can also look into the Digidesign M-Boxes, which are a little pricier, but not much in regards to what you get with an M-Box (protools LE!!!).

BTW, I didn't mean to slight Cakewalk, n-track, Sonar, Cubase, ProTools, GarageBank, Logic, Audacity, or any other programs that folks are using - there's a lot of good stuff out there...
...many folks just use whatever software their recording interface came with....others have specific needs or preferences or budgetary considerations...this BBS is a great resource and learning tool...just read around a bit, use the search function, ask questions as they come up...most folks here are happy to help if they can....there are a few sourpusses here too, but many of them have good solid info to share in between rants, so take'em with a grain of salt, and get what you want out of it....
...mostly - have fun!

Back