Something that everyone should see

In a nutshell, the basics is what makes a good mix. Gain staging, EQ, and smart use of compression.

I've watched/read a bunch of this guys stuff and it's pretty good. He does plug his book a lot in the links and some of the text, but it's free. He does sell some training though, but hey if it helps him make some stuff free I'm ok with it.

Like someone mentioned in the Comments on the YT page......"Pensado's Place".
His YT videos and mixing tips are always spot on, even if he's talking about a particular plug or piece of gear or with a particular guest.

The small problem with this other guy's video is that simply telling people "check your gain structure, EQ etc".....doesn't really help newbs any more than telling them to use XYZ plug. Also, the reason the mixing pros don't dwell on basics, is because there is an assumption that if you're really at that stage where you're going for the "killer mix".....you should already have a pretty good handle on basics.....so pro discussions turn more toward nuances of doing this or that, and minor subtleties like "this mic was used instead of that one"....which is where a lot of those guy's heads are at, and not necessarily stuck the basics.

Again...."Pensado's Place" is great, and not just a lot of fluff about pimping gear and whatnot....he really does get into specifics, but again, very often the specifics are touching on subtleties and not the broad stroke fixes (like what a lot of newbs tend to look for).

This is great Jimmy. :)
Reminds me of a story about producer Tom Werman when he was working on Twisted Sister's Stay Hungry album. He spent 3 days on just trying to get a drum sound in NY studio and they still could not get it. So he packed the band up and moved them to LA studio and it was there where they finally were able to get the right drum sound. Same as guitars, took them days....Now that would be boring story for some people :)

I'd like to get that multi DVD set that Alan Parsons released about recording, friend had it. Lots of tips and tricks in an entertaining attention holding format. What he doesn't know isn't worth knowing

Alan Parson's art and science of sound recording. except he's a bloody fool for accepting $5000 to record dark side of the moon when the other option was nothing up front but a 10% cut of the royalties that it EVER makes *facepalm*

Alan Parson's art and science of sound recording. except he's a bloody fool for accepting $5000 to record dark side of the moon when the other option was nothing up front but a 10% cut of the royalties that it EVER makes *facepalm*

having a good financial mind or enough faith in your ability to make something worth gold is not necessarily boosted by being an artistic and scientific genius.

I plugged in three artists that I've purchased off Amazon and stumped it with all three...Elle Zalmudio (rock), Jim Wilburn (country), Say-So (Irish folk rock). Found some other things though...

I plugged in three artists that I've purchased off Amazon and stumped it with all three...Elle Zalmudio (rock), Jim Wilburn (country), Say-So (Irish folk rock). Found some other things though...
I think they have to be signed to major labels, maybe? I don't know.

It didn't have any of my tunes either, so it sucks after all. :D

Back