Singing through a microphone

dreamon999

just recently I've started playing in a band again.. before I was just the guitarist, now Im also the vocalist. In the bedroom I thought my singing was pretty decent..

however, singing through a microphone (should note that there are no monitors in the rehearsal space) has totally thrown me off. Only natural of course, hearing your voice coming from a totally different position than you're used to (i.e. I dont think my voice is bad as such, only when I hear it through a microphone Im unable to keep tune).

However, my question is... does this simply take practice, getting used to, or is there some trick Im not aware of? And do monitors solve this problem completely? Any advice/experience with this would be much appreciated.

Cheers

I started singing solo 2 years ago. I did it mostly behind my pc and always alone, it was strange to hear myself over the speakers. After a while I thought it was cool, I sounded cool.
When my girlfriend was with me I thought I sounded ridicules but I got used to that to and came over it. Then a couple of my friends listened to me and again the same thing, I felt ashamed.
And now I sing in public with my guitar.

What I want to say with this little story is that you probably sound good with your singing, and may be you are not used to do it in public and to hear it over speakers.

The only thing you can do about it is to sing, sing loud. Let them hear you and don't give a damn.

After a while you're cool.

ron..

By far, for the most part, it just takes practice. Your brain has to get used to hearing your voice through a PA. Monitors don't solve the problem completely, but they do help a whole lot if they're facing you, and you've got a good "monitor mix"

The idea is to

1) make sure you CAN hear yourself amplified, and as clearly as possible. Don't let the bass-player push you around - you have to hear yourself :)

2) Get used to singing through the mic and listening (and adjusting your own pitch) from the PA or monitors. The biggest time-consumer is yourself - belt out the tunes until you get used to it - don't be timid on the mic.

Best o luck to ya,

Sean

What they said.There's no trick.To sing in tune,you need to hear yourself.
If you don't have monitors that you can rehearse with,turn the speaker(s) you're using around so they're facing the band.You'll need to position them so the singers are facing the speakers and the mics are pointing away from the speakers to keep feedback away.And turn the PA down some.

I have to say that the first time I heard myself sing through mic's and everything, I thought I was horrible and I would never be able to sing again. But I kept with it and eventually I got used to how my voice sounded thru the mics and PA. After a while, you gain some confidence and begin to really belt out your lyrics and you will begin to sound better. Practice, Practice. The more you do it, the more you get used to it and the more confident you become.

As far as monitors, I have to have monitors facing me and they have to be turned up quite a bit so that I can hear myself over the instruments..this is not to be vain like I only want to hear ME, but so that I can make sure I can stay on tune with everything. I would highly recommend either monitors or turning speakers to where you can here them like was mentioned above.

Stick with it...you'll get it.

God Bless!

You won't sound the same to your ears through monitors or headphones because the brain hears your voice through a bone conduction method.

This sounds nothing like what your brain will hear as your voice over monitors. As a matter of fact your brain is hearing it both ways at the same time.

I can be a little disconcerting and intimidating. Just sing like you would if you were singing in your bedroom without the mic. I know it's difficult. I still have trouble now and again. A little reverb will help on the monitor mix.

It is something you have to get used to. The others are correct in that you really do need to hear yourself as well as a good balance of the background music. This is also so your brain can hear it along with you at the same time. Your brain is hearing two different sources. It is up to you to be able to interpret the difference and get used to it. You'll know when you have.

Back