A simple setup...advice?

thebrightsound

I've decided to record a full-length acoustic CD (with some electric additives as well as pianos) under the alias Shears to You. I figured it would be cheaper to just go ahead and record it myself. A lot of my friends have studios in their homes, and I kinda wanted to see what it was all about. I purchased a pretty modest setup, but it does the job. I'm recording in a Fostex MR-8, using an MXL 990 condenser for vocals and an MXL 991 condenser for micing my acoustic. It's nothing impressive, but it's getting the job done. Now, my questions are these:
(1) I am looking for some cheap monitors that will give a decently accurate representation of the final product. Any suggestions?
(2) I like my MR-8 for what it has, but I would like a little more control over the mastering. The good thing about the MR-8 is its ability to convert your recordings into WAVs. Is there any software anyone would recommend that I could import the files into?

Check out a couple of the demos I've recorded here and give me whatever feedback you have. Thanks a lot.

The Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 monitors seem very popular about these parts. They run $300/pr and many consider them the best monitors in that pricerange.

For software, there are lots of affordable options. Steinberg (Cubase SE) and Cakewalk (Home Studio) are both affordable. N-tracks, powertracks, etc. are other options. Any basic multitrack program will let you dump audio files from your recorder and mess with them. Alot depends on how much you like the user interface. I use Cubase and like it alot.

Back