Silent home rehearsal and later recording of instruments

Reedge

Hi! We would like to be able to rehearse silently at home, and maybe record if possible...

Currently have
- Macbook Pro, no software except GarageBand
- Electric guitar, no amp, no pod
- Electric bass, no amp, no pod
- Digital piano (phones and "USB to host" connectivity)

Would like to have several headphones with individual volume and some kind of drums (drum machine or electronic drum kit).

In the past (1980s) I have worked a bit with analog stuff (mic'ing up guitar amps to mixers etc), but after a long hiatus I am bewildered about where to start :)

Any suggestions are welcome!

Assuming you want everyone playing together, if you get an interface that has enough inputs to accommodate all your instruments plus vocal mics (if any) you can plug in to that and set up a Garage Band project with amp sims. Add a headphone amp that has 4 outputs and everyone can listen while recording.

That assumes you've got a pretty good MacBook Pro that can keep up and you spend a little time optimizing for recording.

P.S. GarageBand has its own software drummers or you could plug an electronic kit in.

Was going to suggest the very same Mack (but with the HA400 HP amp) but I think the OP wants software drums which rules out 'Zero Latency Monitoring' I don't know how good the Tascam and mac combination would be for latency?

Dave.

The latency in windows 8 is awesome. I have no knowledge with macs, other than to order fries with em! I am looking at a maybe getting a Roland TD-25KV-S V-Drum kit for Christmas. It has great reviews.

Tascam US 16x8 Interface + Behringer HA8000V2 8-Channel Headphone Amplifier. I use the Tascam with Reaper and I come out of the Tascam and into the headphone amp. Works like a charm.

Thanks Mack! So it connects like this?

Instruments > guitar cables > Tascam <> USB cable <> Mac (w/ Reaper)
|
Headphone amp​

Not sure I understood the part about software drums, does this setup means I need a separate source for drums (in other words, they can't be generated by the Mac)?

Thanks Mack! So it connects like this?

Instruments > guitar cables > Tascam <> USB cable <> Mac (w/ Reaper)
|
Headphone amp​

Not sure I understood the part about software drums, does this setup means I need a separate source for drums (in other words, they can't be generated by the Mac)?

Your set up is perfect! I run my headphone amp, from the headphone out jack on the Tascam into the stereo input for the headphone amp. As far as the drums go, I think they were referring to being able to use drum kits plugins. That way every thing runs through the mix and into the headphone amp. There are a few free one on the www and I really don't know where to point you. Maybe just do a google search for "Drum Kit Plugins for Reaper" maybe. You can start here.

This is the one I play around with. I have not used it much though but it does work with Reaper and I also have a pc.

Last edited:
If you use GarageBand on the Mac you can use the built in software drummers or add a 3rd party plugin.

The Tascam only has 2 instrument level inputs so if you add another guitar you might need a Pod or similar to get to line level. You'll probably want to use amp and pedal sims.

I'd use the keyboards headphone out and go to a line in (pair if you're actually generating true stereo).

Multitracking (vs mixing) with a lot of effects can tax your system so make sure it's only doing recording (optimized - I think there's a sticky post on that here or somewhere).

There should be no latency problems using a drum plug.
Especially for rehearsal only.
Your Mac can totally supply drums for that.

You will only run into latency problems if you try a software based keyboard plugin...or you intend to use any effects from your Mac on your instruments or vocals.

Back