Signal path

krooner

Hi all,

I've been searching around for some info regarding my signal path. Currently, it looks like this:-

Mic/Synth - Preamp - ADC [usb -PC] [optical - Audio Interface] - monitors.

I'm just wondering if I should be using both usb and optical connections at the same time. Do I need both if Im using my AI asio driver?

Any advice please.

Kj

Hey Krooner.

Could you clarify...is it
Input : mic-preamp-usb interface
Output: usb interface optical - monitors

If it's the same audio interface then there' no problem here.

What interface and monitors are you using, out of interest?
Usually monitors connect via balanced line, but I suppose digital ones aren't unheard of.

The benefit of an optical digital link, especially to monitors is that it completely avoids any chance of hum loops.

The downside is that the D/A converters in the monitors have to be par excellence if they are to be better than those in even mid-priced AIs.

But what would bother me even more is the lack of a big knob in the audio feed to dive for when the software went ape***t which of course ALWAYS happens at 2.0am.

As ever OP, gi'us model numbers!

Dave.

Hi guys,
Thanks for the swift response.

AT3525/YamahaMO8 - RNP8380 - ADC1 usb Benchmark, which is connected directly by USB to the PC, while at the same time Toslinked to the AI Edirol UA-101, itself being directly linked to the PC by USB cable - KRK Rokit5's

Apologies for the lack of info. Hope this helps.

Kj

Ah, ok. So the ADC 1 is your USB audio interface but it lacks line outputs.
So you're taking its optical out to the edirol to convert it to analog line level for the monitors, right?

I would speculate that the USB connection on the edirol is irrelevant, apart from providing power to the unit.
The computer doesn't need to be concerned with, or even aware of, the edirol.
I would even guess (and it is a guess) that you could use the edirol as standalone. Ie, use the DC power supply and no USB.

If there is no standalone option then you'd need USB and drivers for the edirol to work, but it should have any impact on what drivers/setup you're using in your DAW to record.

Just make sure you have whatever the ADC1 needs. That's your audio interface.

It's not exactly conventional but I don't really see anything wrong with it, especially if it works.
Am I right in thinking the edirol volume control is in the loop? That would address Dave's concerns.

Ah, ok. So the ADC 1 is your USB audio interface but it lacks line outputs.
So you're taking its optical out to the edirol to convert it to analog line level for the monitors, right?

I would speculate that the USB connection on the edirol is irrelevant, apart from providing power to the unit.
The computer doesn't need to be concerned with, or even aware of, the edirol.
I would even guess (and it is a guess) that you could use the edirol as standalone. Ie, use the DC power supply and no USB.

If there is no standalone option then you'd need USB and drivers for the edirol to work, but it should have any impact on what drivers/setup you're using in your DAW to record.

Just make sure you have whatever the ADC1 needs. That's your audio interface.

It's not exactly conventional but I don't really see anything wrong with it, especially if it works.
Am I right in thinking the edirol volume control is in the loop? That would address Dave's concerns.

Yes, you're right, I'm using the edirol for that reason. But I'm not sure why the computer doesn't need to be concerned with, or even aware of, the edirol, bearing in mind the driver was determined by the usb linked audio interface.

Also, did you mean to say that the edirol shouldn't have any impact on the driver/setup when recording [reaper].

BTW, I'd love to hear any suggestions as to the most coventional signal path setup. I'd also love to understand what defines the ADC1 as my audio interface.

[yes, the edirol volume control is in the loop]

Thanks very much for the help, Steenamaroo. I may not fully understand, but I do appreciate it.

Cheers.

Kj

If you need to overdub anything you need an output from the DAW, which the preamp lacks because it's just a preamp+ADC, not an interface.

I would not bother with the USB on the preamp, I would use the Toslink connection through the interface in order to use the Edirol's input monitoring facilities. On the interface you will need to select the optical input as the clock source.

Yes, you're right, I'm using the edirol for that reason. But I'm not sure why the computer doesn't need to be concerned with, or even aware of, the edirol, bearing in mind the driver was determined by the usb linked audio interface.

Also, did you mean to say that the edirol shouldn't have any impact on the driver/setup when recording [reaper].

BTW, I'd love to hear any suggestions as to the most coventional signal path setup. I'd also love to understand what defines the ADC1 as my audio interface.

[yes, the edirol volume control is in the loop]

Thanks very much for the help, Steenamaroo. I may not fully understand, but I do appreciate it.

Cheers.

Kj

I might not have been super clear, mostly because i'm offering suggestions. I'm not 100% sure of this.

However....it seems like

An audio interface takes audio and converts it to data, and vice versa.
Whether it's analog or digital audio is largely irrelevant. The ADC1 is your audio interface.
Reaper should know this and you should be using ADC1 drivers there.

The edirol is also and audio interface, but you're not using it as such.
You're using it as an digital-to-analog converter.
I guess it needs to be connected via USB to function in any capacity, but this may not be true.

Because the edirol is USB connected your computer will see it as an audio interface but ignore that; It's not your audio interface.

Basically, what you're doing is fine. :p

Oh, Ok. I have it backwards then. My mistake.

Sorry OP. Same advice but reversed then. :p

Reaper should see the edirol as your audio interface.
The ADC1 is being used as a standalone preamp/converter. I doubt USB connection is necessary for it to function.
I'd go with optical-only.

Oh, Ok. I have it backwards then. My mistake.

Sorry OP. Same advice but reversed then. :p

Reaper should see the edirol as your audio interface.
The ADC1 is being used as a standalone preamp/converter. I doubt USB connection is necessary for it to function.
I'd go with optical-only.

Hey guys,

Many thanks for the input.
Everything's been working ok. I just wondered if I was getting the best out of my setup.
Although, as has been suggested, there seems to be no issues with regards to the current arrangement, I will unplug the ADC1/PC usb connection just to see what happens!

Cheers.
Kj

Hey guys,

Many thanks for the input.
Everything's been working ok. I just wondered if I was getting the best out of my setup.
Although, as has been suggested, there seems to be no issues with regards to the current arrangement, I will unplug the ADC1/PC usb connection just to see what happens!

Cheers.
Kj

Cool. Sorry again for the mix up. ;)

Back