Signal Flow question

RobbieZ12

Not exactly a newb but signal flow always gets me going because i always end up running 300 different possible scenarios and confusing the hell out of myself. I plan on buying a Focusrite liquid Saffire 56 firewire audio interface that has 2 liquid preamps on 1 and 2. Lets say I want to record a mono vocal track but i want front end compression. meaning i wanna go from the mic to the focusrite (where the signal is boosted by the preamp) now... this is where i get confused, I want to run this signal out of the focusrite and into a PRO VLA and then have front end amplification and compression going into protools. How do i achieve this? do I need a mixer? do I need a Y-insert cable? 2 balanced trs cables? gah! so confused!!!!! First post btw!!! I know it seems like a simple or stupid question but is there really such thing these days?

Doesn't look like there is an insert on the Focusrite so it looks like the solution is to run a pair of TRS cables to the VLA and back into another line input on the Focusrite.

Check the manual to see if the first two line outs on the Focusrite are zero-latency monitor outputs.

Hi there,

This should be relatively simple to set up in Saffire MixControl (the routing software that comes with the Saffire range)

If you plugged your mic into Mic input 1:

- Set line output 1 to Analogue in 1 in MixControl
- Adjust your gain settings on the LS56 to those you desire
- Connect a TRS jack cable to line output 1 of your LS56 and into the line input of your other preamp
- Connect a TRS jack cable to line input 2 of your LS56
- In your DAW audio channel, set your input to input 2

This should give you the setup you desire (if I have understood correctly) and would give very low latency (assuming your other preamp doesn't introduce much)

If you need any help doing this, drop supportteam@focusrite.com an email with a screenshot of your MixControl window and link to this thread and we'll be glad to give you a hand!

Kind Regards,

Dan

Back