Should I upgrade my setup?

Art0Rage

Hello HomeRacording community.
A few months ago I bought a microphone called Prodipe ST-USB (back then I really wanted a USB microphone)
The microphone is decent for it's price tag, but now I want an upgrade.
And for now I have 2 options (maybe there are better options):
1.Buy a new XLR microphone with audio interface, but it's really expensive for me at the moment.
2.Buy an USB audio interface (I'm not quite sure if it is real or not)
If you guys could help me out with this situation that would be awesome!
Sincerely
-Daniel.

Hello HomeRacording community.
A few months ago I bought a microphone called Prodipe ST-USB (back then I really wanted a USB microphone)
The microphone is decent for it's price tag, but now I want an upgrade.
And for now I have 2 options (maybe there are better options):
1.Buy a new XLR microphone with audio interface, but it's really expensive for me at the moment.
2.Buy an USB audio interface (I'm not quite sure if it is real or not)
If you guys could help me out with this situation that would be awesome!
Sincerely
-Daniel.

I'm a bit confused by the question. Are you wondering if there is an audio interface to connect multiple USB microphones? There is no such thing. With USB mics, the A/D converter is built inside the unit, and I really don't think there's a way to use more than one at a time. Whether or not YOU PERSONALLY should upgrade is difficult for others to answer.

What is your ultimate goal?
Do you plan on using more than one mic at a time?
Does your current USB mic leave you wanting a higher quality signal?

I'm a bit confused by the question. Are you wondering if there is an audio interface to connect multiple USB microphones? There is no such thing. With USB mics, the A/D converter is built inside the unit, and I really don't think there's a way to use more than one at a time. Whether or not YOU PERSONALLY should upgrade is difficult for others to answer.

What is your ultimate goal?
Do you plan on using more than one mic at a time?
Does your current USB mic leave you wanting a higher quality signal?
Yes, I want a higher quality signal.

Best option.....

XLR connected microphone (either a condenser or dynamic) along with a USB audio interface.

Typical USB audio interface (and one that gets recommended here occasionally)...
Steinberg UR22mkII | Sweetwater.com

You'll probably then ask what's a good (pro quality:D) XLR connected mic which will open another can of worms :)

And we haven't begun to talk about how much money is in your wallet :)

Yes, I want a higher quality signal.

Then the only way to get that would be to upgrade to a better mic and get a separate interface...though I want to point out not to overlook room treatment. It doesn't matter how nice the microphone is, if it's in a bad sounding space, it's going to sound bad...this is especially true for condenser mics. Just something to keep in mind. Good luck :)

Then the only way to get that would be to upgrade to a better mic and get a separate interface...though I want to point out not to overlook room treatment. It doesn't matter how nice the microphone is, if it's in a bad sounding space, it's going to sound bad...this is especially true for condenser mics. Just something to keep in mind. Good luck :)
Well, I guess I have around 100$ to spend for my audio interface and mic, so I need the cheapest solution for an XLR mic and audio interface..
Any suggestions?

Well, I guess I have around 100$ to spend for my audio interface and mic, so I need the cheapest solution for an XLR mic and audio interface..
Any suggestions?

I'm not sure you'll find a mic/interface combo for $100 or less unless you find a spot a great used deal. And if you do find a new setup in that price range, it will likely be no better than the signal you're getting from your current mic.

Any suggestions?
Use what you have for now and save up until you can afford something decent. Anything around this price point won't be much better than the USB mic you now have.

I'm not sure you'll find a mic/interface combo for $100 or less unless you find a spot a great used deal. And if you do find a new setup in that price range, it will likely be no better than the signal you're getting from your current mic.
I can try to go a little but higher, let's say around 150-200 dollars, what is the best mic and audio interface I can get?

The USB interface is probably OK, but the SDC MXL550/551 isn't much better than the USB mic he currently has.

To squeak by at about $200 or a little less. Don't forget pop filter, cables, etc.
Alesis_IO2_EXPRESS_iO2_Express_USB

MXL V67G Large Diaphragm Cardioid Condenser Microphone V67G B&H
Audio-Technica AT2020 - Cardioid Condenser Microphone AT2020 B&H
AKG P120 High-Performance General Purpose Recording 3101H00400

The USB interface is probably OK, but the SDC MXL550/551 isn't much better than the USB mic he currently has.

To squeak by at about $200 or a little less. Don't forget pop filter, cables, etc.
Alesis_IO2_EXPRESS_iO2_Express_USB

MXL V67G Large Diaphragm Cardioid Condenser Microphone V67G B&H
Audio-Technica AT2020 - Cardioid Condenser Microphone AT2020 B&H
AKG P120 High-Performance General Purpose Recording 3101H00400
Should I buy an usb mic or buy a decent mic with audio interface? Because I've heard that an decent XLR mic with audio interface is much better than an expensive USB mic..

Should I buy an usb mic or buy a decent mic with audio interface? Because I've heard that an decent XLR mic with audio interface is much better than an expensive USB mic..

There ARE some very good USB mics. Once the "big boys" got into the market peeps like AKG made some very decent units. But, a USB mic will always be less flexible in use than a mic+XLR+AI (just one basic example. You could have a 50mtr XLR cable easily on conventional mic. You CAN get "repeater" USB cables, not sure how good they are with digital audio? Tends to be fussy!)

So, the Alesis i02 is very good for the money, had one. The UR22 I have not tried yet (keep looking at Cgenerators!) but never heard a bad word about. Must say that Presonus bundle looks good?

Bit of "left field" input? The big, side address mics LOOK sexy but a small diaphragm capacitor (aka condenser) is, IMHO the best and most versatile starter mic. No reason it cannot be used for voice (and SDCs are generally lacking in "character" whereas LDCs can sometimes suit one voice but not others)
SDCs are much handier to deploy and if you can get one with a 10 or 20dB "pad" the sensitivity reverts to a dynamic and makes close talking (POP! filter!) a possibility with the attendant reduction of the "crap room effect".

Oh! And one thing peeps always forget when looking for recording setup? Monitoring, i.e. listening back to your recordings easily and well. Only an AI does this at all decently.

Dave.

There ARE some very good USB mics. Once the "big boys" got into the market peeps like AKG made some very decent units. But, a USB mic will always be less flexible in use than a mic+XLR+AI (just one basic example. You could have a 50mtr XLR cable easily on conventional mic. You CAN get "repeater" USB cables, not sure how good they are with digital audio? Tends to be fussy!)

So, the Alesis i02 is very good for the money, had one. The UR22 I have not tried yet (keep looking at Cgenerators!) but never heard a bad word about. Must say that Presonus bundle looks good?

Bit of "left field" input? The big, side address mics LOOK sexy but a small diaphragm capacitor (aka condenser) is, IMHO the best and most versatile starter mic. No reason it cannot be used for voice (and SDCs are generally lacking in "character" whereas LDCs can sometimes suit one voice but not others)
SDCs are much handier to deploy and if you can get one with a 10 or 20dB "pad" the sensitivity reverts to a dynamic and makes close talking (POP! filter!) a possibility with the attendant reduction of the "crap room effect".

Oh! And one thing peeps always forget when looking for recording setup? Monitoring, i.e. listening back to your recordings easily and well. Only an AI does this at all decently.

Dave.

So I should probably upgrade to an XLR mic with audio interface.
But I'm not quite sure which one to choose.. Any more suggestions?

So I should probably upgrade to an XLR mic with audio interface.
But I'm not quite sure which one to choose.. Any more suggestions?

Recommending a (conventional) microphone is fraught, so many opinions and tastes and that is BEFORE we get into what you need or might need it for!

The AI question is easier in a way because modern electronics is pretty much foolproof and (barring silly design gaffs with HZ inputs!) all AIs are very good, at least as far as the converters go (many use stock, out of house converter chips so you cannot go by a name!) . The choice therefore comes down to price, facilities and rather nebulous matters such as driver stability and latency.

Take a mo' to work out what exactly you WANT to do and how you will do it. Then consider what you might ant to do in the future (e.g. If MIDI means nothing to you you don't need it on an AI). Will you perhaps jam with friends and want to use more mics/sources?

Remember, even the most basic AI, the i02 say, has a specification WAY better than any tape recorder and given a fair wind is capable of near CD audio quality. MUCH better than your room or present skill level will permit.

Nail them to the mast? Steinberg UR22 and AKG Perception 170 SDC. But! MANY other combinations will sound just as good!

Dave.

Recommending a (conventional) microphone is fraught, so many opinions and tastes and that is BEFORE we get into what you need or might need it for!

The AI question is easier in a way because modern electronics is pretty much foolproof and (barring silly design gaffs with HZ inputs!) all AIs are very good, at least as far as the converters go (many use stock, out of house converter chips so you cannot go by a name!) . The choice therefore comes down to price, facilities and rather nebulous matters such as driver stability and latency.

Take a mo' to work out what exactly you WANT to do and how you will do it. Then consider what you might ant to do in the future (e.g. If MIDI means nothing to you you don't need it on an AI). Will you perhaps jam with friends and want to use more mics/sources?

Remember, even the most basic AI, the i02 say, has a specification WAY better than any tape recorder and given a fair wind is capable of near CD audio quality. MUCH better than your room or present skill level will permit.

Nail them to the mast? Steinberg UR22 and AKG Perception 170 SDC. But! MANY other combinations will sound just as good!

Dave.

I need this just for recording my voice, I don't need multiple xlr outputs. I need only one mic and a decent setup or a good USB mic.

I need this just for recording my voice, I don't need multiple xlr outputs. I need only one mic and a decent setup or a good USB mic.

And you won't get them! Not many AIs have XLR outs and those that do rarely more than two!

Seriously, a good USB mic will give you excellent RECORDINGS (abeit tied to the PC at a max of 5 mtrs) but DO look into and think about the logistics or the rest of the process and the complete MO?

An XLR mic and a modest AI is as flexible as you will get. Win-win. You might NOT regret the restrictions of going USB only..;But I would not put money on it.

Dave.

Let's take a step back for a moment......

What is it you don't like about the Prodipe ST-USB you presently have? I can't find much on it, but the basic specs don't look bad.

The mic itself might be OK, but perhaps some other factors are hurting the "quality" of sound you get from the mic.
- Speaking too far away from the mic you'll pickup more room sound and ambient noise.
- Have a pop filter?
- Are you trying "fix" problems with effects?

You could potentially have the same problems even with a really good expensive mic.

Could you give a bit more detail what you are recording your voice for such as podcasting, audio books, etc.

Let's take a step back for a moment......

What is it you don't like about the Prodipe ST-USB you presently have? I can't find much on it, but the basic specs don't look bad.

The mic itself might be OK, but perhaps some other factors are hurting the "quality" of sound you get from the mic.
- Speaking too far away from the mic you'll pickup more room sound and ambient noise.
- Have a pop filter?
- Are you trying "fix" problems with effects?

You could potentially have the same problems even with a really good expensive mic.

Could you give a bit more detail what you are recording your voice for such as podcasting, audio books, etc.

1.I'm very close to my mic, not in an echoey room.
2.Yes.
3.Yes, but still I'm not satisfied with the quality.
I'm mainly recording for podcasts.

Back