Should I upgrade my setup?

It does sound a bit hollow, but not unusable for podcast. the main problem I hear is all the background noise. You can hear people talking from the next room. A nicer condenser mic isn't going to help that problem. Have you considered a dynamic mic such as an SM58? Of course you'd still need an interface.

It does sound a bit hollow, but not unusable for podcast. the main problem I hear is all the background noise. You can hear people talking from the next room. A nicer condenser mic isn't going to help that problem. Have you considered a dynamic mic such as an SM58? Of course you'd still need an interface.
Sounds great! Is there a diffrence between a low budget audio interface and between a decent audio interface?
I want to buy the SM58, but I guess I need to buy a really cheap audio interface..

I agree that the SM57/58 is a bit of an icon but my suggestion, AKG P170 is $80 at Sweetwater and has a sensitivity of 12mV/Pa which drops to 1.2mV/Pa with the pad engaged.

This is almost exactly the same sensitivity you would get with a 58 but you get the far wider, and smoother response of the capacitor. Then of course you can use the higher sensitivity on such things as acoustic guitar should the need arise.

Still need an AI of course but the Alesis i02 Express will serve very well and runs out about the same dosh as the P170!

Dave.

Upgrade on a shoestring budet

Well, I guess I have around 100$ to spend for my audio interface and mic, so I need the cheapest solution for an XLR mic and audio interface..
Any suggestions?
Try looking at pawn shops that guarantee their items and try offerup.com. I managed to pick up a shure sm 58beta-$30, 8-channel mixer $50, focusrite 2i2 $50, 20ft snake 8 channels $25. And a akg 420 condencer mic for $70. Pick it up piece by piece if need you'll find what you need and greatly improve on your setup, as I did for my sons.

Back