Should I try to save the Behringer C-1 or get a new mic?

Cuttlefish

So I have a Scarlet 2i2 and a Behringer C-1 that I purchased a few years ago, they've been sitting in the closet and are in great shape still and I'm trying to use it for recording voiceover for gameplay on Twitch streams (and hopefully later voiceover work for other videos). But somehow these guys just aren't agreeing with my setup. I test out the audio on Skype with friends beforehand and, according to them, sometimes my voice sounds super distorted, sometimes I sound far away, sometimes it sounds like a wind tunnel and super loud, and sometimes my volume is super low.

Here's where it gets weird. When I started this, I didn't have a mic stand. I would sit the mic straight flat on my desk, and it would sound perfectly fine. But the weirdness started when I got a mic stand, specifically a NEEWER Microphone Suspension Boom Scissor Arm Stand. I tried plugging the Scarlet into a different USB port, I tried adjusting everything, according to Open Broadcaster it's fine.

I got to the end of my rope and decided to research the equipment and it turns out Behringers aren't that good of a brand? At least from browsing this forum, either you love them or hate them. So I guess that's my main question. Is this something that can be easily fixed for the Behringer? Or should I just swap out for another mic like a Shure SM58 or a Audio-Technica AT2020? Also, if it's important, I use a duel boot hackintosh Yosemite (where my Adobe programs are) and Windows 8.

The Behringer C1 is an okay mic for the money...but that money equates to "cheap mic". Even so, it shouldn't exhibit the problems you describe.

If it IS the mic, unless you have an electronics background and can do the work yourself, I doubt a repair would be economic.

However, before splashing out on another mic, I suggest you try to isolate exactly where the problems lie. Have you recorded your mic into anything other than the Skype test to see if it's a Skype issue? Can you borrow another mic from anyone to make sure your interface is behaving properly? Have you taken the mic back out of your new stand to see if in some way the stand is causing the issue (maybe by grounding the mic or rattling or something?

It's worth doing some detective work before spending money.

And post a link don't rely on non-technical people to describe. Also, can you hear this in the headphones, because this kind of sound suggests that if you can hear it, it is before the headphone point in the chain, and if you can't hear it, the problem is introduced after the headphone point. Can we hear a bit?

The problems you describe are not characteristic of a bad mike as such. The CV1 is not ear4th-shaker, but it is good value for money and should do the job well.

There are many dumb things that can go wrong (for example, speaking into the back of the mike instead of the front) which are easily fixed, Then there aere technical issues associated with USB and how this is dealt with in the system.

Start with easy, then work up to hard.

However, before splashing out on another mic, I suggest you try to isolate exactly where the problems lie. Have you recorded your mic into anything other than the Skype test to see if it's a Skype issue? Can you borrow another mic from anyone to make sure your interface is behaving properly? Have you taken the mic back out of your new stand to see if in some way the stand is causing the issue (maybe by grounding the mic or rattling or something?

It's worth doing some detective work before spending money.

And post a link don't rely on non-technical people to describe. Also, can you hear this in the headphones, because this kind of sound suggests that if you can hear it, it is before the headphone point in the chain, and if you can't hear it, the problem is introduced after the headphone point. Can we hear a bit?

I've already done a few Twitch videos, still dipping my toes in the water with these so the audio is VERY rocky. I'm pretty much peaking 100% of the time on these, only finding out after the videos have been recorded. Here's a link to a short video with the "wind tunnel" audio. Usually what ends up happening is that the mic would be working just fine until I bump it slightly with my head accidentally and it goes out.

Twitch

Forgive me, it's been a few years since my last audio class and I'm still trying to dig up my old notes. I plan on firing up Audition and seeing if I can maybe test it there. I'll post results ASAP. Thank you guys so much, I'm glad to know that it hopefully isn't just the mic that could be the issue. I HAVE tried plugging my headphones into the Scarlett and it picks up just fine from there, but when I record for Twitch I have to keep my headphones plugged into the speakers so I can pick up on the game audio and keep said audio from playing into the microphone.

I HAVE tried plugging my headphones into the Scarlett and it picks up just fine from there, but when I record for Twitch I have to keep my headphones plugged into the speakers so I can pick up on the game audio and keep said audio from playing into the microphone.

Can I confirm that when you speak into the mike, and monitor it with headphones plugged into the interface, the mike sounds fine? If so, that excludes the mike from being the problem. However, I listened to the video, and noted the high level of noise. That could be a faulty mike. It could also be a faulty lead, or something going wrong elsewhere. That doesn't leave out a lot. However, if you can get hold of an alternative mike and lead and swap them around, you would confirm whether the problem is on the input side.

Which speakers do you plug headphones into when recording for twitch? Are you talking about the speaker output on the computer itself? You are probably better off sending the internal output (i.e. the game audio) to the scarlett, and monitoring both it and mike input from there.

Can I confirm that when you speak into the mike, and monitor it with headphones plugged into the interface, the mike sounds fine? If so, that excludes the mike from being the problem. However, I listened to the video, and noted the high level of noise. That could be a faulty mike. It could also be a faulty lead, or something going wrong elsewhere. That doesn't leave out a lot. However, if you can get hold of an alternative mike and lead and swap them around, you would confirm whether the problem is on the input side.

Which speakers do you plug headphones into when recording for twitch? Are you talking about the speaker output on the computer itself? You are probably better off sending the internal output (i.e. the game audio) to the scarlett, and monitoring both it and mike input from there.

Unfortunately this is the only mic that I have which can be plugged into the interface, I can ask around but I'm not sure if I can test the interface with a new mic aside from buying another one. There's ONE person I know of that might have something, I'll come back with updates on whether or not I can borrow a mic and chord from them (might as well test and see if a faulty chord is the cause too).

The speakers plugged into the computer are the kind with a headphone jack, so I plug them in there. I just did a small recording on Twitch where I set the line out audio to the Scarlett on Open Broadcaster Software. The game audio still came out of the speakers plugged into the computer so I had to turn them off. I could hear myself from the Scarlett, but neither my voice or the game audio showed up on the stream. I'm a tiny bit curious whether or not that is because I don't have anything plugged into the output jacks on the back of the Scarlett or not. I still haven't found my notes from my old audio classes but I remember that being pretty important, I'd rather this be from a silly mistake and look like a newbie than anything, haha. I'll post updates when I can get a hold of the person who might have some equipment to lend. Thanks!

Back