Should I buy a stage monitor or ???

BarkityBark

I want to amplify what I hear out of the headphone jack on my Presonus 44VSL with the same audio fidelity or better. Right now, I have the Presonus box going to my headphones and to a pair of Rokit 5's (which sound terrible in comparison). What would you suggest I buy for a better amp, stage monitor, powered PA speaker please?

Buy better studio monitors with more power if the Rokits suck.

Stage monitors and PA are for live, stage use. :)

Also...wean yourself off the headphones. If you use them a lot, every time you take them off, you lose that "surround" vibe, so you will think that monitors suck.
Oh...if your room sucks...that will not help any monitor. You may need to consider that and treat the room somewhat, if it isn't.

But I DO want the new amp/speaker to be used for practicing my guitar, just like a guitar amp. Using 'Guitar Rig 5' to get the performance sound I want, instead of a massive Marshall amp to get the same gain/feedback effects.

Find a small practice amp then...that's the best solution.
Why try rig something up with stage monitors and what have you?

Yup. A small practice amp would likely have some form of the reverb, distortion, etc. effects that a bigger performance amp has.

A stage monitor is just a stage monitor. It'll be designed more for high volume levels and a reasonably tight dispersion pattern. It's pretty common to use lots of EQ on a stage monitor to get the sound the performer wants.

Miroslav's comment about improving on the Rockits and thinking about the room acoustics rather than trying to use a stage monitor in a way it wasn't designed for.

But I DO want the new amp/speaker to be used for practicing my guitar, just like a guitar amp. Using 'Guitar Rig 5' to get the performance sound I want, instead of a massive Marshall amp to get the same gain/feedback effects.

I think you would, actually, want to use guitar speakers, but the rub is they sound different.

The Peavey VIP1 I got seems to be doing that Amp SIM on a stick thing using more of a hi-fi speaker. I wouldn't try to get the stated 20-watts on this speaker, but it's good for practice

OP has two different requirements that are not easily fixed with one solution.

So it seems we need:

1 Better monitors and room treatment for recording

2 A small practice amp for guitar practice.

Back