Setup up MIDI (software and hardware)?

Buddy Lee

I guess I need to know how to get this started correctly. My goal is to have a midi controller that I can use with Cubase for midi instruments. Last time I used cubase was for a recording class and using their equipment was able to use Cubase's preset midi instruments, loading a preset file from a bank on the software. It would load a page of 128 midi instruments/sounds. I know technically it's not a sound file (on/off), but this allowed me to add various instruments such as drums, piano, orchestra instruments, etc, and use them with 16 midi instruments max, 128 channels max per project. The synth sounds from these preset banks were pretty simple but the piano and drums sounded close to real and much better than most drum machines.

I want to be to do this at home now, but don't remember how it was all setup to make this possible or what version of Cubase it was. It was a few years ago, but I'm assuming newer versions of Cubase will do this as well. I remember it was setup with a midi sound module and a midi interface. So far I have bought: (for midi)

Cubase SE
M-audio keystation 49e
basic PC setup: PIII 1ghz, 512k RAM, 40gb hd, Maestro ESS soundcard (mic/line in inputs only)

Is there anything else that I need to get to make this work, or is there anything that I've already screwed up in the process of learning?

Do I need any of the following:
Midi Sound Module
Midi Interface
New Soundcard with midi in/out
midi in/out adapter for 1/4 or 1/8 mic/line in input?
Banks
- (I had assumed preset instrument banks was a feature in Cubase, but is this something that is Sound module specific? From what I remember I was loading and selecting the midi instruments from Cubase)

I had old cubase projects saved on disk from a few years back, but the files are .all files. Cubase SE is using .cpr for their project filename extensions.

As far as audio recording for guitar and vocals, I have no problems doing this at all. MIDI is a completely new animal for me, but I would love to be able to learn this part, as a solo artist that enjoys experimenting with other sounds and instruments.

Last edited:
You need to go to amazon.com and type in MIDI in the search box.

Get a book; you'll need it and it'll save you tons of time and frustration.

(This guy has a HUGE attitude for a newbie. As I said in 'Midi Mania' I was going to take on answering this question but I think I can find something better to do...)

ssscientist said:
(This guy has a HUGE attitude for a newbie. As I said in 'Midi Mania' I was going to take on answering this question but I think I can find something better to do...)

As I stated before, no I do not have a huge attitude at all. You were the one that responded with a smart ass remark. All I'm trying to do is ask a question and learn. I may not post much, but I do read a lot of threads. It's just the midi part that I'm starting to learn and would like to know more about. If you don't have anything constructive to say, then don't post.

Buddy Lee said:
You were the one that responded with a smart ass remark. If you don't have anything constructive to say, then don't post.
Your first impulse is to assume everybody here is out to get you when it's just the opposite.

And as far as not having anything constructive to say, do a search under my name before you accuse me.

Back