musicmaker

The following is my gear list:

(1)VS880EX digital multitracker
(2)Boss DR660 drum machine with MIDI IN/OUT
(3)PC as a sequencer running either cakewalk/cubase/logic
(4)Guitar/effect/amp......and other instrument
(5)Shure SM58 dynamic mic
(6)A normal keyboard with MIDI IN/OUT/THRU

How can I hook up all these equipments so that a MIDI'up studio can form to make a song? I only have a bit of knowledge about MIDI stuff, since I realize that MTC is a powerful feature to synchronize all device so that they can work together in right beat.

I don't even know what is the potential of my equipments and how amazing their can do. please tell me the best way to set up this studio so that everything is in use. Please step by step tell how to make a song such as how to make a drum track in digital way, how to use the sequencer and MIDI controller(keyboard)...etc, I really need your help.Thank you.

Musicmaker

Hi,

you're asking quit a lot, but I''l see I can help you just a little bit...

I have no experiences with drumcomputers and synchronizing, and right now I'm thinking about your potential setup. Just think about two rules when you make midi connections:

The midi outs only tranfers signal that the device produced ITSELF.

The Midi Thru sends a copy of the Midi-In

I'm also wondering how you can synchronise all this stuff without purchasing a midi patchbay (is not that expensive, so that would be a great solution:-). I'm also curious about the answer. You can connect the MIDI-in from the keyboard with the midi-out from the PC and vice cersa, (with the sequencer on soft thru!!!) and the midi-thru from the keyboard to the drumcomputer. But than you can't synchronize with your VS880EX...unless you make it slave of your drumcomputer (midi out drum to midi in VS880) and slave the drums to the sequencer. Or is that impossible.

Sorry, I seem confused today... Can Others help...?

Greetings!

Brett

You can hook all this gear up to run without a patchbay... However, when you do so make sure that the VS is hooked directly into the computer - Set the computer to slave to the VS (This will give you the best synchronization of the VS audio and the computer audio...)

MIDI out of VS to in of computer...

Out of computer to in of Keyboard -
THRU of keyboard to in of DR660 -

This will give you the desired "Sync" results...

Record your MIDI gear first - Set the rhythm up and keyboard parts...
Set the computer to sync with the VS -
Record the other instruments with the sync of the VS controlling the computer...

It should work...

question for riverdog: with that setup, aren't you unable to sequence a keyboard part on the computer, because the midi-in of the comp is used by the VS? So you'll have to record the keyboard parts as audio directely into the VS840...

bye

Brett

Thank to both BrettB and Riverdog, you guys's help me a lot.
I actually knew a bit of what Riverdog said, an audio engineer told me the similiar set up as well. The set up is:

MIDI OUT of computer > MIDI IN of keyboard
MIDI IN of computer > MIDI OUT of keyboard
MIDI Thru of keyboard > MIDI IN of VS880EX
MIDI OUT of VS880EX > MIDI IN of Drum machine
Audio OUT of keyboard > Audio IN of VS880EX
Audio OUT of Drum machine > Audio IN of VS880EX

I don't know whelter all this connection is simultaneously or not. This set up is different to what Riverdog mentioned and this set up is probably what BrettB mean. Anyway, I just want to make sure is my set up alright?

I hope I can have a long term set up which enable me to make a song without pick out the cable frequently at the middle of recording session. I mean I want such a set up which is able for me to do the drum track, MIDI track and audio such as guitar without RE-setup the system. I hope you guys can teach me in more detail way, and tell me what is the right way and sequence to make a song. Thank you.

hi mm,

Sorry to cause again some confusion, but as you know midi setups are really hard. I can't follow exactely why the midi out of the VS goes to the midi In of the drum machine...That means you can't control the druml machine with your keyboard.... and also in this setup your VS is slaven but that's your own choice....

Midi can be irritating:-)

greetings!

BrettB

Hi again, Musicmaker...

Actually to tell you the truth -

Your friend is right -
BrettB is right -
AND I'm right, too!

As BrettB stated - You can slave the whole system to your drum computer - That is correct -

As I stated - You can slave the whole system to your VS880...

And as your tech friend stated - You can slave the whole system through your computer...

In my opinion - Not to bash you or myself, Brett - Your tech friend has the best setup Idea... My only question is, what is the VS880 for if you've got software like Logic/Cubase/or Cakewalk? I personally am running Logic with no other external Analog audio input... All my external audio is recorded into Logic on the computer and the only external setup I have is for the synths that I use...

Most programs nowdays and especially the ones you mention here have excellent audio capabilities - And the setups that were mentioned by each of us just explain a different way to work the equipment you're using...

My assumption is that you're also using the VS880 as an audio "mixing" device to get the audio from your synth and your drum machine either into the computer or into the VS880 - Again - Your tech friend has the best choice... This allows you to record your audio anywhere you like...

Good choice...
Let us know what you decide and how it works...

Back