In search of silent lights

"Remember that virtually all LED light sources use rectified mains AC " Bit sweeping Rob?

I have a 5W* reading lamp (cos I have ARMD) which is powered from an SMPSU about the size of 20 fags and that is intimately intertwined with the audio wires to my ESI 1010e interface and active speakers. Nary a whisper.

*The lamp was expensive! I had it converted to LED about 2 years ago. It used a 50W incandescent QI and got bloody hot! The new lamp can be touched for a second or so, is a brighter, better colour and the PSU runs at near ambient.

Dave.

More than likely with wall wart power for LED's (and much electronic gear lately), it's going to be a 'switch mode' driver/PS which can work off a wide range of AC, is compact, and is very efficient at conversion. Generally run at a high frequency and could emit some crap on the high side of the audio spectrum. Cheap ones may not decouple the AC line well and perhaps a long string could act as an 'antenna' to radiate 50/60hz.

Overkill for most basic LED applications, but is a switch mode PS for LED's.....
12V Wall Mount Switching Power Supplies

OP never came back to fill in some of the blanks(?)

Back