Scarlett 6i6 question...

rafecomo

Hey, I'm thinking of buying the audio interface Scarlett 6i6 from Focusritte, I know it has 4 inputs (plus 2 MIDI), 2 of the inputs on the front with pre amps, but can I use the other two on the back that don't have preamps while I use the front ones? For example plugging a mic and guitar two the front and then a keyboard and a bass to the back inputs?, cause someone told me that allegedly if you use the front inputs the back ones won't work, but don't know if that's true, cause I would like to have all plugged in while I record. And also to know if this is in fact a good interface for a home studio, I hope that someone that owns this interface can help me, or someone that knows, Thanks.

Looking at the specs on Focusrite's page, yes, you should be able to use all 4 inputs while recording. Inputs 1 and 2 are front panel and then 3 and 4 are in the back.

I've got the big brother, the saffire pro40, and I love it. Have not had any issues with it outside of getting the right chipset in my firewire card. If you never plan on recording drums along with everything else then you shouldn't have any issues but it wouldn't hurt to keep future requirements in mind now.

Yeah, I've been watching the Saffire Pro 40, but I don't know, I think I'm gonna go with the Scarlett 6i6 better, but thank you for the advice, also I also think it is possible to record the 4 of them at the same time, just wanted to make sure.

The 6i6 seems to be a re named, re vamped version of my 8i6 (I am guessing they eventually felt guilty including the MIDI in the I/O count!) .

I have not used the 8i6 much, my goto USB AI is the Native Instruments KA6* but a quick try out showed it to be a useful device with no obvious vices. I have NOT spent the time to learn the MixControl software but it looks very good.

*Do at least look at the KA6. It does everything the F'rite does conectionwise and does not need a power supply. Many wax lyrical about Focusrite's AI preamps but in truth the 8I6 units seemed comparable to the KA6, maybe a dB or two more gain?
The KA6 beats everything in its price class for low latency if that is important to you?

Dave.

Back