Scarlett 2i2 Microphone Pairing

Hi,
The thing with "far too quiet" is that it needs a reference.
If it's far too quiet compared with what you expected, then it probably isn't.
If it's far too quiet relative to the noise floor and you're hearing hiss then, fair enough, it is.

A 57/58...really any dynamic mic will have pretty low output compared to the majority of your capacitor/condenser microphones, but should still be usable for what you're doing.

The bottom line, in terms of recording levels, is that your signal must be loud enough to sit well above hiss/gear self noise, but quiet enough not to clip your converters.
If it's there, you can make it louder/quieter in software, safe in the knowledge that the raw recording is healthy.

If the peaks are strong and you want to raise the average/perceived volume, you can use compression, but that's not a failing of your preamp. It's the nature of the given source.

In short, your recording sounds fine to me.

Talking about tone/frequency content, that's where you'll want to adjust the microphone position.
You have a cardioid microphone so close proximity to the source will cause bass to be emphasised.
The general rule with guitars is that miking the soundhole is going to give the bassiest result.

If your recording is too bassy, consider pointing the mic at 12th fret, or at the soundhole but off axis, or simply moving it back a few inches.
Huge change can be made by moving a microphone an inch or two.

To experiment with this you should record/play/stop/listen and repeat.
Monitoring something like that with headphones on whilst your playing will deceive you, because you're hearing the playback and a lot of bass from the actual acoustic performance in the room.

Not for nothing..........are you sure you have a genuine SM58? The most faked mic of all. Where did you buy it from? It should be somewhat more quiet than many mics.........but not to the point where it's not usable for what you're trying to do.

I inherited it from my Opa. He was an orchestral flutist, piano tuner and one-on-one music teacher for his entire life after being a radio operator for the Dutch military. So yeah, I'm pretty sure its real :p

Hi,
The thing with "far too quiet" is that it needs a reference.

OK, thank you for your advice. I will certainly experiment with those mic positioning techniques. Um, I feel really silly right now. I swear, I used this mic and DAC a couple times before and could not get it to produce sufficient levels (I would crank up the gain in software and I could hear the noisefloor).

.."and I felt a little silly using it for recording anyway".

You will be the Master of any MIC. haha I was using a folding sheet music stand and whatever else up to around 2008. Then I snagged a $5 ($4 s&h) boom stand off eBait

I don't know if that clip got 'boosted' in the MP3 encoding process but it seems to me that the 2i2 gain could be usefully reduced by at least 6dB?

The average level looks to be around -15 to -12dBFS and a peak to -7 or so. The noise floor is a pretty good -70dBFS, knocks spots off a basic tape recorder.

Now, it could be the encoding process or my old lugs but the guitar sounds a touch 'hairy' to me? Tiny bit of fuzzlike distortion? The signal seems cleaner at the end where things are 'fumbling' at a low level.

Dave.

Attachments

• jespk.png
    jespk.png
    113.8 KB · Views: 5
I recently did a review of the Simply Sound SS-1 preamp for AudioXpress. It hasn't appeared yet, but I don't think I'm spoiling much by saying that it's designed for exactly what the OP is looking for- it plugs in between the dynamic mike and the 2i2, runs off the 2i2's phantom power, and gives you about 25 dB of gain boost. It works very, very well.

I recently did a review of the Simply Sound SS-1 preamp for AudioXpress. It hasn't appeared yet, but I don't think I'm spoiling much by saying that it's designed for exactly what the OP is looking for- it plugs in between the dynamic mike and the 2i2, runs off the 2i2's phantom power, and gives you about 25 dB of gain boost. It works very, very well.

It would likely help. In your review is there any mention of what the input impedance of the SS-1 is? I didn't see that spec on the manufacturers/sellers site. Both the Cloudlifter and Fethead have a fairly high Zin which does affect the frequency response of a dynamic mic, usually in a good way..

Simply Sound didn't do their research very well comparing prices to the Cloudlifter and Fethead :). I got the Fethead for $99 a few years ago and it's now $89. May have been $129 at one time, but that was as high as I might have ever seen it.

Attachments

• ss-1 fethead.jpg
    ss-1 fethead.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 8
My spec for the layla 3g starting at +10 means they already have a baby cloudlifter installed on the MIC circuit. So, its really +48, not +58

Back