Routing issue or Interface issue??

wannaknow

I'm new to recording so I'm not sure what's the real problem. I'm attempting to record 3 microphones into Pro tools M-powered onto 3 separate mono tracks. The interface is a m-audio profire 610. I'm using a condenser mic into inlet 1 at the front of the m-audio, a dynamic into inlet 2, another dynamic into inlet 3. The signal from the condenser would register on both tracks 1 and 2 in pro tools. I could get no signal on to track 3in pro tools. I quadruple checked the i/o set up in pro tools, input 1 track 1; input 2 track 2; input 3 track 3. I was able to record 2 mics to separate tracks by routing 1 mic (a dynamic) through a Yamaha MG82cx mixer into inlet 3, at the back of the profire 610, however when I tried to route both dynamic mics through the Yamaha mixer I could not get 1 mic to 1 separate track in pro tools. Next I tried to have mic 1 from the mixer go to track 1 in pro tools bus that to an aux track panned hard left and mic 2 to track 2 in protools bussed to an aux track panned hard right, still one mic would register on both tracks. The questions are, do I need to get an interface with more inputs? and will an interface with multiple pre amps like the m-audio profire 2626 route the 8 mic pres to one bus, and will I be able to record each mic to it's own track in pro tools or any other DAW? When I bought the profire 610 I thought I would be able to record 6 mics at the same time. is there some simple fact that I'm missing? Sorry to be so long winded I hope I've been clear enough. Any help is greatly appreciated.

The Profire 610 only has 2 preamps, so at most you can only record 2 separate mics by using this device alone. Sorry, can't help you with the in/out issue, but suspect you need to go into your software to establish the routing.

The Profire 610 only has 2 preamps, so at most you can only record 2 separate mics by using this device alone. Sorry, can't help you with the in/out issue, but suspect you need to go into your software to establish the routing.
Thanks for the quick response, I've tried everything I know (which isn't very much) with the software.

Back