Room acoustic treatment...

Vipasana

Hi everyone. I want to buy an acoustic kit to my studio room. The problem is - I really don't know how to place every piece and where exactly. I searched the web and didn't fint any friendly guide. Can someone help?
Thanks a lot.

It depends on the room, use your ears. Change to taste.

Depending on what you want to solve / prevent of course. And how hard you want to work in post. Do you want any and all room out of the picture (not advised). Or just a little bit to make it sound less like a cafeteria. You can edit / synthesize room ambiance these days. With a little tech savvy-ness. So taking all reflections out isn't so bad, depending on how hard you want to work in post. Still not advised though as the performer might not be accustomed to such a space and try to compensate in some fashion.

What will you be doing in your room? Tracking and/or mixing? For tracking, I believe a hardwood floor is better as it will reflect and add life to the room. For mixing, I wonder if you couldn't have either a hard floor or carpet. I have carpet as I'm sure most do for comfort. It's probably a compromise.

From MM's link: "Low end first. Always, ALWAYS the low end first. Broadband absorption. Rigid fiber / rock / mineral wool. All four corners, floor-to-ceiling if at all possible. High-side corners (where the ceiling meets the walls) in line with the mix position is a safe bet also. "

Can someone please link a photo of a studio showing what that looks like?

Or is this it?

placing_mt2.gif

As far as flooring goes, am I right in thinking that a linoleum or hardwood floor is better, even for a small room, because you can always add throw rugs to taste. But if you carpet the whole thing, throwing down a piece or two of plywood seems neither safe nor appealing.

For a low ceiling (e.g., 8 feet), do we need to use more traps, or lay acoustic tile over the ceiling surface, or anything like that?

Last edited:
A) Those are all representative of broadband traps. GOOD.

B) That's a very typical starting point for just about any room.

C) I'd still go floor-to-ceiling in the corners for sure - and hopefully stagger maybe 5 (3 front, two rear perhaps, maybe the other way around depending on the room) on the short walls. A larger "cloud" could be in the cards also.

A lot rides on the room itself - Controlling the lows is paramount and the more broadband trapping, the better (unlike foam, where even a little too much or a few misplaced sheets can throw a room into audio chaos). I'm a fan of live floors with rugs over wall-to-wall as well...

Back