Rode NT-1 and phantom power

pbrowne

I am in the process of buying my first good mic for vocal recording and would like to hear opinions re: providing phantom power.
I have decided on the Rode NT-1.
The options I am aware of are:

1. Mixer that provides the power.
2. Mic pre-amp
3. Phantom power unit
4. Batteries

I am leaning toward the phantom power unit because of price however as I am a total novice when it comes to this topic, I would appreciate some expert advice.

Thanks in advance,

Pat

Do you have a mixer? If not, get one with phantom power, or you will not be able to use any mic to it's full potential. If you already have a mixer that does not have phantom power, I suppose the Phantom power supply would be the way to go. Does the Rode take batteries? I think I might even consider that option over the phantom power supply, I've used them in AKG C1000's at times with no problems.

Emeric

[This message has been edited by Emeric (edited 08-05-1999).]

The Rode NT1 does not take batteries.
I agree with Emeric, if your mixer does not have 48v phantom power, go with the phantom box. A mic pre would be great, but they can be expensive.
P.S. Just got the NT-1 and couldn't be happier with it! Great mic!

Just wanted to chime in with my 2 cents...

Someone suggested a mixer for getting the full potential and addressing my phantom power needs also, so I took their advice.

I've been using the NT-1 with a Mackie 1202 VLZ for about 6 months, and am LOVING it!!

Since you helped me with the 1680 site
( "thank you very much!" )
I have 3 words: ART TUBE MP!
It has a great tube mic pre, and phantom pwr.
I just got one for $100.00
Thanks again! :)

el, too late. Already bought one.

Glad you like the 1680 site. Mostly great folks over there.

Mike mike and preamp comes in in a week so I'll let ya know how it goes.

Thanks,

Pat

Back