Ridiculous ambient noise help

BigMeeech444

Hey everyone,

I currently use a mxl v67g, a behringer xenyx 802 mixer, and a behringer u control uca202 to transfer mic audio through the mixer and into the computer. However, the amount of ambient noise my mic picks up is DISGUSTING. It makes my work sound like crap and i need to know: should i just switch to the focusrite scarlett solo or i am doing something wrong?

Attachments

• mic test bad ambience.mp3
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
Well, I could hear the noise immediately--you didn't have to be quiet. There's electro-mechanical noise in there. You may be able to get rid of some of the noise by simply moving away from the computer. Move the 802 and the control surface away from the laptop as well. Your voice actually sounds good, but the noise floor is high. The 802 isn't known for it's quietness, and the preamps in it are just serviceable, but that whining noise is likely coming from the laptop, or it could be a grounding issue. Try the simple stuff first--move stuff around.

The hiss sounds like it might be preamp hiss, so try lowering the gain. Make sure all the channels except the one you are using have levels and gain set to minimum.

Also, try all the stuff that TimN suggests.

That mic has ten times, 20dB the sensitivity of an SM57 and so you should need very little gain set on the 802 (which, IMexP has pres much on a par with most AIs and better than some) .

The mixer should be hitting -20 or so on its LED meters when the channel pot is at "0" and same for the Main Out control. Set gain to achieve this.

Check the 202 is not cranked in Windows. The default for USB audio is 100% you need this at 5% or less.

Unplug the mic, leave the 202 connected and turn the main out and chan' pots right off. Record and you should get a noise floor of about -85dBFS.

Yes, a better AI would be a good thing if only to get 24 bit recording! But not the 2i2, the Steinberg UR22 is better value, noted to have good pres and has MIDI and Cubase. No Brainer......But don't sell the present rig! It WILL come in handy...Promise!

Dave.

Back