Reverb for vocals and mixing vocals

AndreVonWeimar

Hello folks,

How can I mix vocals? I am getting some weak results.

First, how can I get some good stereo sounding vocals? Adding some stereo reverbs, or do I need to "double" the vocals?

I am recording with a Shure SM-58. I know it's not the best for the situation, but the sound is "thin". What frequencies can I boost to add more power to vocals?

Thank you all!

André

vocal tricks

how can I get some good stereo sounding vocals?

What frequencies can I boost to add more power to vocals?

André

there are really no exact rules, but there are lots of tricks.

for stereo sounding= record the vocal track twice, pan the first take a little right and the other a little left. if you pan too hard it might sound kinda weird, so just find a happy medium.

for thick vocals= overdubb the accented words, they are normally at the end of the measure. then double the main vocal track and saturate it with reverb, this will be very low in the mix. send the accented words to the right about 5% and the reverb about 5% to the left.

frequency= boost a little in the hi range. the exact frequency and amount will be up to the sound of the vocalist. you also might need a deesser.

these are not set in stone, and others may agree or disagree but theses are somethings that work for me,:D

--mike--

oh yeah, i forgot the most important step
COMPRESSION
it is a must for vocals (at least in my situations it is)

p.s. what pre amp are you using (this has a lot to do with powerful vocals)

Hello folks,

I am recording with a Shure SM-58. I know it's not the best for the situation, but the sound is "thin". What frequencies can I boost to add more power to vocals?

André

my friend......there is no issue recording your vox with the 58.....unless ofcourse, of your 'situation'!!(???):eek::eek::eek::p:)

Some good advice given to you to try, just above.....gotta love this site!

Without hearing a sample it's impossible to tell you how to improve. My guess is you're having the ole garbage in garbage out problem. If your vocals sound weak they probably are. Work on the source, learn how to sing, how to breathe. There is nothing about a 58 that will make your vocals sound thin. Check the distance you are from the mic. Get closer to get a fuller sound and take a look at the gain structure you are using in the setup too. Practice, practice practice...

Check the distance you are from the mic. Get closer to get a fuller sound

Thanks for the reminder. I'm very new at this recording stuff, and one of the first things I noticed was how weak I sounded singing a louder song, even though I could sing with my chest voice and it was in a good range for me, compared to singing a quieter song with my head voice. I happened to see this and think that I was probably getting closer to the mic on the quieter song. I just now tried focusing on staying close to the mic, and it made a big difference.

In my experience, vocals are hard to nail. Many things can make vocals sound bad. A poor recording, a producer who doesn't know your voice, your voice clashing with certain instruments, your own ego, etc etc.

Listen to songs that you really like the vocals on, and try to find out how the producers/artists did it.

If your vox still sounds thin after close-miking try duplicating the track, adding a bit of delay to the copy and perhaps detuning it a few cents, pan the two tracks just a little apart and adjust the volume of the copy track to suit. I usually do this through a sub mix.

4 year old thread. He's either a really good singer now, or he's peddling cheeseburgers.

Back