reverb bus???

whjr15

i was just wondering how you set up a reverb bus so that you hear the reverb when you are tracking, but not have it record with reverb... thanks

There are a number of ways of doing it, but they all depend on what routing possibilities your mixer has.

1 set your recording path to go out of a subgroup (say outputs 1 & 2)
2 use your channel fx to go to an outboard reverb unit
3 bring the fx return into another subgroup (say outputs 3 & 4)
4 you should be able to listen to your original as well as the reverb, but only the dry original will be recorded.

Alternatively (if you have headphone amp with an extra line in):

1 use an aux or monitor send to go the reverb unit
2 bring the reverb return into the headphone amp aux in

The trick is to find a way to listen to two paths, where the first is the dry path going to the PC, and the second is the wetpath that goes nowhere except to what you are listening through

sorry.. most of that was greek to me...

would i be able to do it with my setup:

alesis multimix 16usb mixer
straight to pc
using waves reverb plugins

i have no outboard reverb, just plugins, so is it even possible??

sorry, im new to this whole "send" idea... i usually just apply the effects to whatever individual sample(s) need it.

-joe

Your idea is to use WAVES plugin reverb in real time?

I haven't gone down that path except for a couple of half-hearted experiments a while back. I don't know how successful it will be, mainly because of latency effects. It's possible it may work in that, from my brief try, I vaguely seem to recall that the effect wasn't recorded.

I think someone else might need to add their experience!

What software are you using? You could do this with Cubase, however there would be some latency which might or might not be a problem for you.

Buy a nanoverb for cheap, patch it into your mixer (using an aux bus), make sure that the aux bus doesn't go to the PC, but does go into the headphone mix while tracking. Problem solved!

yeah, thats kinda what i was trying to avoid....for the moment at least (im saving up to get back into college) so i dont really have any "extra" money to blow on this, which pretty much sucks, but college is more important to me...at least for now! :p

so theres no way i could do it with only plugins, using samplitude as a recording program??

ooh yeah... i dont know if this will help, but my mixer itself has effects... would i somehow be able to use those for this???

-joe

Assuming you can put the effects on a bus which is NOT sent to the PC via USB, then you should be able to put reverb on the monitor mix while tracking vocals. Try it and see if it works :)

Back