Returning to recording music after 5 years

antispatula

Hi guys. Long story short, I was depressed for a few years, but have cured my depression through addressing some issues I had with my gut health, and my passion for music-making has returned full speed! Just bought a UA 610 solo and modded my SP-C1 and am very happy with the results I am getting.

The problem is, I'm a medical student, about to start my last year, and am worth negative 120k right now (LOL-I laugh to hide my pain). I need to get a computer to record on (my 5 yr old macbook air isn't cutting it). I can get a 1TB 8GB RAM desktop on ebay for 150 bucks free shipping-If i get a computer with windows 7.

So my question is this: will having windows 7 hinder me in any way in 2018 in terms of DAW or VST functionality? The comp will have 8 gbs RAM and windows 7 is still 64 bit.

Let me know what you think, thanks guyz

" will having windows 7 hinder me in any way in 2018 in terms of DAW or VST functionality? Short answer? Yes, any computer (mac or Win) has a resource limit, usually the CPU speed that means there comes a point where loading on too many plugins say, will result in clicks and dropouts. Similarly VSTis require low latency for real time use and that requires a fast machine to run low buffer sizes.

But, almost any laptop built in the last 5 years will cope with SOME plugins and probably a simple piano or drums synth but NOT whilst surfing the net, running a virus check and making the tea!

Another 'but', don't see an Audio Interface in that gear list? AFAIK the mic pre does not have a digital converter? So, your first problem is to chose an AI and THAT can have an influence on the power of the computer you need for low latency as can to a limited extent, the recording software (aka DAW).

As a basic minimum IMO the AI needs two mic/line/instrument inputs, two Line Outputs (balanced for preff') MIDI I/O. More in/outs is nice to have as is S/PDIF but not essential. Such a simple AI will not need Deep Thought to run some basic tracks.

Dave.

will having windows 7 hinder me in any way in 2018 in terms of DAW or VST functionality? The comp will have 8 gbs RAM and windows 7 is still 64 bit.

Win 7 is stable and good for audio. RAM of 8gb is fine. You don't mention what CPU it has.

However, for general purpose audio, you should be fine.

I take Dave's point: that any machine will struggle if you load it beyond its capacity. However, I'm running Reaper in XP (still) with a 2.8 ghz i7 and just 4 gb of RAM. I am also profligate with tracks and plugins, and I rarely experience any performance issues.

Win 7 is stable and good for audio. RAM of 8gb is fine. You don't mention what CPU it has.

However, for general purpose audio, you should be fine.

I take Dave's point: that any machine will struggle if you load it beyond its capacity. However, I'm running Reaper in XP (still) with a 2.8 ghz i7 and just 4 gb of RAM. I am also profligate with tracks and plugins, and I rarely experience any performance issues.

Ooo! Just 4G ram? Many here would call that "pitifully inadequate" but obviously you are doing fine!

A year or two ago I had the ram doubled to 8G in this HP i3 laptop (was flush a few bob) but I really cannot say it has made any operational difference save the machine runs a bit warmer!

But, i7! Nice, does it have an SSD? Oh! Just noticed, XP! How quaint!

Ah! jusfort, if you are using XP it is almost certainly 32 bits and so more than ~3.5G ram is of no use to you. I am also pretty sure SSDs don't like XP?

Dave.

Last edited:
Ooo! Just 4G ram? Many here would call that "pitifully inadequate" but obviously you are doing fine!

A year or two ago I had the ram doubled to 8G in this HP i3 laptop (was flush a few bob) but I really cannot say it has made any operational difference save the machine runs a bit warmer!

But, i7! Nice, does it have an SSD? Oh! Just noticed, XP! How quaint!

Ah! jusfort, if you are using XP it is almost certainly 32 bits and so more than ~3.5G ram is of no use to you. I am also pretty sure SSDs don't like XP?

Dave.

I've led a charmed life, and 4G of ram has not cramped my audio style.

I've got 16G in the box, but, as you note, XP can only access a quarter of that. I have two SSD, one with XP on it which works just fine (and yes, 32 bits), which I am currently using. The other has W10 on it, which I am half-heartedly configuring. It's an uphill battle, because I've been running XP for many years, it is behaving well, and I've accumulated a vast array of plug-ins over the years. Finding the source files to install them on the W10 system is next to impossible for some of them.

I'm using a Win 7 with 6G RAM with Reaper, no problem. Like Dave says, though, you need to get an audio interface.

That's an easy question!! I've been mastering since 1998, over 40,000 songs. I use CUBASE as my DAW. I've been using Windows 7 since it came out, probably early 2000s. I tried windows 10, HATE the layout, and things crashed. Glitchy problems came up with 10. So, I reverted back to windows 7 and today I will master 20 songs using Windows 7 with NO PROBLEMS!

I wish you the very best with your music!

You'll be fine with Win7 for now. But do note that its days are numbered. Before too much longer, Win7 will go the way of Win XP. Microsoft is pushing Win10 pretty hard and I can't see that their prior versions have very long to live. Maybe a couple more years? But for now, have at it. Driver support is wide-ranging and pretty stable at this point.

Hey, and welcome back!

I can get a 1TB 8GB RAM desktop on ebay for 150 bucks free shipping-If i get a computer with windows 7.
You left out the important bit; The CPU (model number, please!).
The second most important bit is probably details of what you're planning to do.
You could do single voice and guitar all day long on a phone, but 64 track orchestral scores are going to be a different story.

Using windows 7 shouldn't be any hinderance.
There's alway a line where some version of something requires a new version of something else,
but taking any need to be bang up to date out of the equation, there's no reason decent box with win 7 can't be multitracking with reaper tomorrow, and ten years from now.

If you are going to be buying new versions of software then do scrutinise the requirements for yourself.

hey guys thanks for the support. The computer i want to get has a Intel Core 2 Duo processor (speed . 3.00GHz). Is that alright?
btw, I am running my UA 610 through the line-in of my focusrite scarlet. I know that the line in on these boxes partially goes through an amp circuit before going to the A/D converter, but this preamp is so transparent that it has caused me no problems. Also, people like to harp on the focusrite AD converters, but Focusrite Scarlett stuff all uses the CS4272 chip for A/D/A conversion, same as the Apogee Duet.

Also, for those who are interested, I just did the U87 mod from mic-parts.com on my studio projects C1, and the difference is astounding. Will post a shoutout soon

That's an easy question!! I've been mastering since 1998, over 40,000 songs. I use CUBASE as my DAW. I've been using Windows 7 since it came out, probably early 2000s. I tried windows 10, HATE the layout, and things crashed. Glitchy problems came up with 10. So, I reverted back to windows 7 and today I will master 20 songs using Windows 7 with NO PROBLEMS!

I wish you the very best with your music!

Just about every Windows OS has been slated when it first arrived, especially by the audio community (legend has it, Bill Gate's granny was frightened by a saxophone player) but W10 has been REALLY annoying to just about everyone!

But, at least the actual OS is not crap, as Vista was. People who really know their PC onions like Scan have embraced W10 and say it is THE best OS Ms have produced to date....Yes! I know! I dldd the freebie and H.A.T.E.D. IT! To add insult to injury, when I reverted to W7 my 2496 sound card was screwed and I have still lost some of its older functions.

I have come back to W10 (on a clunker I don't need) and am trying to get to grips in case I make it to 80!

Dave.

hey guys thanks for the support. The computer i want to get has a Intel Core 2 Duo processor (speed . 3.00GHz). Is that alright?

That's an old chip so what you're planning to do with it, specifically, really matters now.
For a small handful of tracks and a few plugs, sure, it should be fine,
but for anything more ambitious it is getting long in the tooth.

I'd be concerned about using modern amp simulators or virtual instruments on a c2d rig.

$150 bucks, that doesn't sound like that is going to work. I would go and suggest you try spending some money on an SSD and try Reaper for your DAW (It is very efficient) and watch your VSt and VSTi and then if needed use strategies like freeze tracks, etc.

If your Mac was top notch when you bought, IMO, nice SSD for about $150 bucks might keep you running for a bit. My computer is over 5 years old, AMD chip, 8 gigs of RAM, but SSD split in C/D drive and I have no problem.

Something to ponder if your Mac's chip isn't super under powered (what chip does your Mac have?).

Something to ponder if your Mac's chip isn't super under powered (what chip does your Mac have?).

Forgot about that. Airs aren't particularly powerful, but most likely much more powerful than and old C2D.
Don't know the specific models in question, but this should be in the rough area.
Screen Shot 2018-05-05 at 22.36.30.jpg

Forgot about that. Airs aren't particularly powerful, but most likely much more powerful than and old C2D.
Don't know the specific models in question, but this should be in the rough area.
View attachment 102527

I guess maybe if the OP loaded the DAW to see what processing power it is using. Once again, audio doesn't take that much and it could be just a data retrieval issue. What speeds did the Macs HDs have stock? Once again, Except for VSTs, I am just thinking horsepower might not be the issue.

Unless he is really going to step up, back to your spec, he could be throwing good money away.

OP look at Steins chart, a price point of 159 means it is probably less than $hit. I would think in today's market, 500-600 would get a decent machine in a laptop, something like this: HP Pavilion x360 Convertible 15-br077nr 15.6" 2-in-1 Laptop Computer - Silver 1KT69UA#ABA - Micro Center

But shop around, I think if you wait, you could get something close for around 400-500.

There are others who watch this closer than me and I am sure they know even better deals.

What speeds did the Macs HDs have stock?

As far as I know it could be anything from 5400 spinner to pcie SSD.
OP, give us the specs of that MBA along with your plans. :)

I did plenty of heavy sessions on my 2011 MBP, (2415m) but it did have an SSD.

Last edited:
The problem is, I'm a medical student, about to start my last year, and am worth negative 120k right now (LOL-I laugh to hide my pain).

Don't worry....a handful of medical procedures and some follow-up visits...and you'll have that paid off. :D

Win 7 is fine.
I'm using it and plan to keep using it for the foreseeable future. If you're going to use the computer for DAW only...you can run it offline, and then it really won't matter that much when MS drops all support for Win 7 in 2020...just get all your apps/plugs before that, otherwise after MS drops it...then so will the software developers, so plugs/apps after 2020 may not work or be supported on Win 7.
For now though, Win 7 is IMHO a better bet than Win 10...but Win 10 is getting there. By 2020...I'm sure Win 11 (or whatever they call it) will be out.

8GB RAM is fine...and the Core 2 Duo at 3GHz will be OK if you don't plan on doing a lot of real-time VSTi stuff, but I would consider at least a quad core CPU.
I use a quad core, and I'm not having any issues, but I know guys who do a LOT of VSTi real-time stuff are all freaked out about needing a high core CPU...8+.

Anyway...for $150...it's a throw-away system...so you're not going to lose much if you run with it for awhile and then get something better when that next student loan check comes in. :p

Back