removing pops & hisses

v6v6v6

sometimes i'll make a vox recording that sounds good to me but is marred by a slight pop or hiss (e.g. p's or ch's). i usually just go back and record that part again, but is there a standard method to removing them in the mix?

v6v6v6 said:
sometimes i'll make a vox recording that sounds good to me but is marred by a slight pop or hiss (e.g. p's or ch's). i usually just go back and record that part again, but is there a standard method to removing them in the mix?

Make sure you are using a pop screen, and you can use a de-esser plug in to help out.

What are you using to record? If you are using a software program, see if you can go in and manually redraw the waveform right at the pop. It only kinda works sometimes, but if you have a otherwise perfect take, it's probably worth trying to salvage it.

i'm using cakewalk guitar tracks 2 and i don't believe there's an option to redraw the waveform. but could this also be accomplished by adjusting the volume envelope? with my current situation, it's a "ch" sound that is overly harsh so i'm thinking i could just manually "compress" it?

Unless it's a once in a lifetime vocal performance I'd retrack it. You shouldn't ever try to fix a tracking problem in the mix unless it's unavoidable. Some good advice already on dealing with it after the event but it's really much better trying to stop it from happening in the first place.

Any processing you have to carry out to rescue something that's been poorly recorded will degrade the quality of the audio in some way.

A pop screen, as mentioned, is usually vital. Also make sure your gain staging is setup correctly (so that your not clipping anything on the louder parts) and that you're stood an appropriate distance from the mic.

You might want to work on mic technique a bit as well ie. pulling away or slightly to the side of the mic for the louder parts (particularly if it's a very dynamic performance). This will also obviate the need for heavy compression at the mixing stage.

Good luck with it

If you don't want to buy a pop filter, you can always make one with a wire coat hanger and a pair of panty hose.... but you need one if you are recording because no matter how careful you are, you will always get them.
Another tip to cut down on them (won't go away completely) is to aim the mic at your chin, and sing slightly above it. That way your breath is going past it and not hitting the diaphram directly. But you will still need the pop filter...

i've been meaning to get a pop filter... finally stopped by the local guitar center and picked one up for $20. rokket, that's a creative idea about the coat hanger and panty hose. i'll have to make my wife fetch me a pair next time if this one ever breaks down. :)

v6v6v6 said:
i've been meaning to get a pop filter... finally stopped by the local guitar center and picked one up for $20. rokket, that's a creative idea about the coat hanger and panty hose. i'll have to make my wife fetch me a pair next time if this one ever breaks down. :)
I found the idea on a website, and it's been offered in here. If you do a search of the site, using the words "pop filter", you may be able to bring up the thread where someone broke it down step by step on how to make it and mount it on your mic stand....

Good luck, and repost when you get the vocals done with the pop filter. :)

Back