Reel to reel Tapes/saturation/compression

ChristopherTheo

Hey guys I'm looking into tape models. Not so much to record on the Reel to reel as much as to stick it threw my digital track to add analog saturation, compression, warmth etc.

I was wondering if anyone knows any good models from 500 pounds below to obtain a wide and warm tape sound, examples being Mac demarco, unknown mortal orchestra etc.

So far I'm looking at the Revox b77 and the Fostex r8. Anyone that is knowledgable in this domain, feel free to kick my brain up the ass and stick some knowledge in it. Cheers

Chris

With the GREATEST respect to the guys over at the annyloggy section, I would seriously consider putting you money into software tape emulations.

Old R to Rs are tricky to buy in good order, weigh a fekkin' ton to ship (back!) and require constant cleaning and attention. Add to that the fact that I doubt modern tape will "sound" anything like the old EMI or Scotch!

Dave.

The first Mac demarco I clicked on actually sounded like sampler bass. He's got some toys, but if I were you, I'd experiment with plugs first. Speed control seems to be a goto. You shouldn't have to spend big bucks on plugs, if at all. You could try to find a deck that's in good shape after that, if you felt the need.

Experiment with fine speed control

I'm with ecc83 (and I'm an analog nut). If you want tape -- unless you're just experimenting and screwin' around (which is fine), you're sort of stuck with "go big or go home." The cost of a quality deck, the time, the maintenance - the tape -

And again, don't get me wrong - I'm a fan. But IMO, you're much (MUCH) better served investing in the rest of your front end.

I think that for what you are after, it really is better to just spend that same money on the tape emulations. It you were gonna start with the reel to reel and stay analog through your whole recording process, then maybe it would be worth it. But you're just gonna dump it into digital anyway. With the technology today, starting digital and adding the analog tape simulation would have virtually the same result with a lot less of the problems of dealing with a tape machine. You said yourself that you didn't really want to record to tape, you just wanted the warm tape sound.

The two posts are different. In this one he's asking about price effective decks. And, he is indicating he's looking for a particular sound by referencing artists. In the other he's asking about stackin' a preamp, shitty old mixer and deck for some warm bass. I had been thinking Beatles/soft jazz bass, but now see that it's not all that warm. Mostly lacking a digital edge and some other tricks

I think that for what you are after, it really is better to just spend that same money on the tape emulations. It you were gonna start with the reel to reel and stay analog through your whole recording process, then maybe it would be worth it. But you're just gonna dump it into digital anyway. With the technology today, starting digital and adding the analog tape simulation would have virtually the same result with a lot less of the problems of dealing with a tape machine. You said yourself that you didn't really want to record to tape, you just wanted the warm tape sound.

Virtually, none of the emulation have speed control, 'cept maybe a few on the Mac. When you look at a tape emulator, it shouldn't be hard to stack a page or two of notes on what it is missing.

As an analog guy, and someone who still tracks to a big ass tape deck regularly and mixes down to tape...I say...get the plug-ins and move on. :thumbs up:

There's more to it than just getting a deck, and unless you want to really dive into the world of analog tape recording, it's a waste if you're just after some tape saturation "effect". There's some good plugs out there that will be easier to deal with (no calibration and maintenance) and much lighter on your wallet. :)

It's a rabbit hole for sure. I've had a dozen different tape machines, the best ones being a Nagra IV-S and an Otari MX50. Sound-wise, the Otari was the best. It really seemed to add depth and weight to the mix, way better than a plug in. However, keeping it in top shape proved more time and effort than it was worth. The Nagra is a thing of beauty, but it has such a clean sound that it's hardly worth using for saturation.

Speaking for myself, I've given up on tape for the most part, but I also don't like any of the plug in emulations. I focus on getting color from ribbon mics and/or colorful preamps, and keeping the rest of the path as clean as possible.

I'll say there is one plug in I'll use for color on occasion - the MJUC compressor. I try not to, but sometimes it works pretty well. Sounds kind of tape-y to me.

"The Nagra is a thing of beauty, but it has such a clean sound that it's hardly worth using for saturation."

IIRC Nagra use a pre-distortion technique which give several dB of dynamic range improvement. The down side of PD is very sudden onset cracking up, bit like digital really!

Dave.

"The Nagra is a thing of beauty, but it has such a clean sound that it's hardly worth using for saturation."

IIRC Nagra use a pre-distortion technique which give several dB of dynamic range improvement. The down side of PD is very sudden onset cracking up, bit like digital really!

Dave.

I'd say that's an accurate description. I wondered about finding a tech to disable the pre-emphasis circuit. I'll bet it would be incredible sounding if I did. I ended up just selling it a month or two ago.

I'd say that's an accurate description. I wondered about finding a tech to disable the pre-emphasis circuit. I'll bet it would be incredible sounding if I did. I ended up just selling it a month or two ago.

Wouldn't Nagra be astute enough to design the recording amps around that circuit ? Or was that a weak spot and a band aid.

But what's varispeed got to do with getting tape saturation...?
I mean...you're going to choose a set tape speed, tape formulation, calibrate and set the bias and then decide how much to saturate the tape with the input signal.
We're talking about plug-in emulations of tape saturation, right...?...and not of the entire tape deck operation. :)

I've not heard of anyone varying the speed in connection with the saturation they were going for.
For pitch adjustment and other effects...yes.

Back