Reel to reel Digital conversion

ChristopherTheo

Hi guys, I post quite a lot about Reel to reel questions, thanks for everyones help so far.

I'm going to get a Apogee Duet 2 to record Guitar and Bass.

It will be my best interface to date and I know they have quite nice A\D to D\A converters, so I want to also use it for recording my Reel to reel into digital format.

Does anyone know any good methods about how to obtain the best digital conversion quality for Reel to reel tape?

This I think will be my best bit of gear for the job but would love to know any other better methods.

Thank you!

Gonna possibly be a pain in the butt.

How many tracks will be digitized?

If only two.....easy.

If they're multitrack recordings...
I would record some type of transient at the begining of all tracks (on the tape). This way you have some kind of reference to get all tracks aligned in the daw.

From the point of "quality" the Duet is a total overkill for tape dubbing. If indeed the OR machine is just 2 tracks then fine. If 4+ tracks it would be far better to buy an interface that can copy them in one pass and for that you might as well get one of the cheap Behringers with the appropriate number of inputs.

Overkill again but I would still run at 24 bits (for consistency if nothing else) and decide on a peak level from tape say -10dBFS? Others here will have their own working practice.

Dave.

If he's transferring 16 or 24 tracks he's in for a heapload of fun. Hopefully the OP will chime in soon.
:D

I own a 2 Track Revox B77 7 1/2 ips Tape deck.

Thats why I was thinking for an audio interface around my budget, the Duet wouldn't have been the worst choice but 'ecc83' says its an overkill for tape dubbing.

Thanks guys

The apogee is nice, and overkill or not, will serve you well.

However, 2 channels isn't much. At some point I'm sure you'll want more.

:D

I own a 2 Track Revox B77 7 1/2 ips Tape deck.

Thats why I was thinking for an audio interface around my budget, the Duet wouldn't have been the worst choice but 'ecc83' says its an overkill for tape dubbing.

Thanks guys

Hey! Don't mind me! The Apogee will be great I just mean you do not need that sort of noise performance and low distortion for tape. No reason not to use it on the B77, all I am saying is IF you need to dub 4+ tracks a cheap Berry will do just as good a job.. Horses for is all.
To go from the sublime to the near ridiculous, the 16 bit UCA 202 is easily good enough for tape dubbing, nearly CD quality.

Dave.

Well I am only using it to master/saturate my Digital mixes so 2 Channels are fine for a stereo mix :)

---------- Update ----------

Thank you Dave

If I understand correctly, you are going to also record vocals and other instruments? If that is the case, focus on that part first. Anything you get will probably be good enough for the tape deck. I have a Akai that I am using and I just run headphones out to a split 1/4 and go to two channels. Record and adjust as required. I don't use a marker, but it is a good idea, it is just so easy to get it to line up.

If you have/get an interface with 1/4 inputs (most have both), then you are set. Just watch your levels.

I own a scarlett 6i6 in which I can hear how the digital mix is doing when converted into my Reel.

I am wondering what the best converter device to put the Reel mix into digital format again would be.

Thank you!

Chris

I own a scarlett 6i6 in which I can hear how the digital mix is doing when converted into my Reel.

I am wondering what the best converter device to put the Reel mix into digital format again would be.

Thank you!

Chris

Err...The 6i6? Lines 3/4? Unless I am not understanding the question?

Dave.

I do a LOT of digitizing...R2R...cassette...DAT and LP...
I use Audacity...and plug whatever the source is directly into
the line input of the computer audio card...

Rips at 44.1 16 bit...I get VERY good results...and the setup is as simple as you could want...

I do a LOT of digitizing...R2R...cassette...DAT and LP...
I use Audacity...and plug whatever the source is directly into
the line input of the computer audio card...

Rips at 44.1 16 bit...I get VERY good results...and the setup is as simple as you could want...

Yes, you can be lucky with a PC soundcard. The i3 HP laptop I am typing on is not at all bad. Recording is ok and I have hooked the output to my Tannoy monitors and the sound is very clean. This is not however by any means always the case and it is always better to advise the use of at least a basic interface. Almost all are now 24 bits and there is really no reason NOT to use that facility.

Dave.

Back