Recording Vocals

Boke

Hello all, I'm an software designer (mostly Flash) and my new project is making English learning software for English language students. I want to do most of the vocal tracks in my office if possible. I've done a little bit of research and went ahead and purchased a Focusrite Saffire audio interface, an Audio Technica AT2020, and also found a nice small room in my office that I more or less covered everything (walls,celing, floor) with blankets and futons (not sure if that'll help to be honest). Everything that I do will in the end be heard (by the students) thru a computer, i-pod or cell phone. It's all just vocals and a couple of interviews ,ect. I have Adobe Audition and Soundbooth, was hoping to use Soundbooth as I heard it was geared to people like myself rather than true pro's.

I had a couple of questions,

-can you suggest anything else for my setup that can improve the sound?

-for recording vocals what should I do with "gain", "reverb" ,ect.. I'm really at a loss with all of these terms. The Saffire Control software has a vocal preset with the options of "low noise", "fullness", "presence", and "breath", any suggestions?

- and last is Soundbooth good enough to use to record to? Am I right that I can use the Saffire Control software AND Soundbooth to record and then only Soundbooth for post production?

Thanks for any replies

There are some people here that do voiceover work. You might try searching for Voiceover and see what turns up.

Cheers,

Google is your friend here for things like effects and EQ for recording. For vocals, the environment is usually a weak point. The background sound of things like A/C turning on/off, dogs barking, or cars driving by. The longer each segment is, the greater the chance of background blips.

As a simple test, put an open mike in teh vocal area and record for 15 min with no spoken words. Then listen to the result. See what all you can hear.

Ed

Back