Recording Vocals

bfsuk

Hey,
Just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on recording vocals. My bands been recording this weekend at our drummers house in his basement using my Tascam 788 and Behringer UB2224FX mixing desk. We've also got a Behringer tube ultragain mic100 pre amp which we're intending to use on vocals. We got the instruments and overdubs all put down yesterday on the 2 songs we're recording (we recorded the drums, bass and guitars all at the same time using acoustic screens to try and reduce spill) but have come to record vocals this morning and we just can't get a decent sound at all. It seems that whatever level we have the vocal channel set at, it distorts very badly. We've tried using the pre-amp into the tascam, the pre-amp into the mixer then into the tascam and then the mic straight into the tascam but this last one was way to quiet in the mix when we set the trim control so there wasn't any distortion. Also ... when we recorded one take (even though there was a bit of distortion) the vocals seemed extremely lifeless. I know it's not our singer because when we went into a local studio to record a while back it sounded fine. But we can't afford to go into a studio at the moment as we're just recording some demo's but want them to be as good quality as possible from a home-recording and definately don't want distortion. The mic we used is a Sennheiser e818 - I know this isn't a great mic but it's all we can afford at the moment ... I'm sure it shouldn't distort though. The other vocal mic we've got is an old Shure Unisphere.
As you'll probably need to know in order to give suggestions ... we're a hardcore / heavy punk band with slightly shouty vocals. If anyone has any suggestions on as to how we can get a better vocal track without distortion that'd be appreciated.
Thanks in advance for any help,
James

Isn't that a DJ mic or something?

Save up your quarters and go get a condenser mic. I do vocals with a AT 4033 and I really like it. You could get a cheaper condenser than a 4033 but it will at least give you better results than what your using.

Don't think it's a DJ mic. It was sold to us as a vocal mic from Academy Of Sound for £40. They reccomended it if we don't have much to spend. It's not what we expected though.
Would a condenser be that good on punk / metal vocals though? With all the shouting and that. I've been reccomended by someone else to buy either a SM57 or SM58 for this kind of vocals.

Use some compression and have the singer back off the mic some. Another thing you might try is to get the vocals sounding good on their own and then add the rest of the mix to them instead of the other way around.

Back