Recording Sounds Directly from an Ipad

Picqwik

I'm a newbie, so this may sound like a silly question ...

I've found some great backing track apps on my ipad. The stereo quality through the ipad headphones is superb.

I want to put them into a couple of tracks on my Tascam recorder. Question ... is there a device available to do this and where would I find it? Or, is there another way to get these tracks off of the ipad? I know you can import sounds to the ipad (like guitar, for example) but nothing I've read covers exporting sounds.

Thanks. Dave

No, you don't understand ... Of course it has a headphones jack, and of course, I have ipad headphones, the problem is (I think) ... the ipad sounds are digital and I've got to somehow convert it to analog. It will require an interface, I know that, ... I just don't know what it is or where I can get it! Everything I've seen on the internet seems to be an interface for coverting analog to digital. I'm looking for the oposite. Surely, I can't be the only person who has run up against this!

Dave

Your headphone out is analog.

Run a splitter cable from the ipad headphone out to 2 tracks on your Tascam.

HosaCMP159.jpg

No, you don't understand ... Of course it has a headphones jack, and of course, I have ipad headphones, the problem is (I think) ... the ipad sounds are digital and I've got to somehow convert it to analog. It will require an interface, I know that, ... I just don't know what it is or where I can get it!

Your headphone out is analog.

Teehee :)

:spank:

(I think) ... the ipad sounds are digital and I've got to somehow convert it to analog

The sounds the iPad plays are digital audio files, however, there is a D/A converter between the iPad's electronics and the headphone output. In other words, the iPad already has an interface built into it.

Thats fucking stupid. Why would you want to use your iPad for recording?

I think it could be useful in a live situation if you needed to play some live samples and didn't want to buy a whole MPC to do it. You could just use your iPad to get a sampling app and plug the iPad interface into the mixer.

I don't own an ipad, but that docking station looked pretty cool.

It could be a cool little combo....pros - small footprint, portable, inputs/outputs.....cons - limited by available apps, ipad processor/memory/etc. limitations (probably can't record that many tracks or have multi fx/plugins running at the same time).

It's actually a pretty neat concept....something so small and portable with some good basic functionality. I can see a market for that. Especially those people who are just dabbling in recording and don't want to spend a boatload of money at first.

I have heard a couple songs recorded on an ipad entirely, including vocals from the built in mic.

Let me see if I can track down a link.

Here is one of the songs from a guy over at vsplanet.

The song was recorded in Garageband and he did import the initial tracks (4?) and bounced them down to stereo on a computer, and sent the stereo track back to the ipad.

All the parts were recorded on the iPad, using either the internal instruments or, for vocals, the iPad mic. I had to dump out the initial tracks to my laptop and then convert to .aiff and bring them back in as a stereo file. Not as convienent as internal bouncing, but it takes me back to the good ol' days of four/eight track cassette recorders.....

The original thread is here:

More iPad Fun - VS-Planet Forums

The song is here:

Here's the other song this same guy posted.

This is a direct link to an mp3.

I really am kind of impressed with the vocals on this song, just using the ipad's built in mic. That first song had the vocals buried in reverb/fx.

I spent part of the day messing with GarageBand on the iPad. It's an interesting piece of software. You have an "autoplay" function that performs the parts by choosing the key and then pressing the chord name in a performance grid. The drums are a visual matrix that you add each piece of the kit to and determine to complexity and volume of the part. Quite cool. I did this cover of the song, October, that was written by my friend Kevin Slick. Guitar, bass and drums are done using the autoplay function. Keys (bad as they are) were done "manually," though you can determine the key and then play only the notes in that key on a touch sensitive keyboard. Vocals were done through the iPad's mic, using the internal effects. I used the maximum eight tracks to get this version. The ending is a bit abrupt, as there is no fade function that I have found to date.....

Original thread here:

Song done with GarageBand on iPad - VS-Planet Forums

Back