Recording setup question

kdvs

Hi all,

I would like to record my playing on my computer, but I'm not sure about the best how to connect my piano (Nord Piano 88), mixer (Mackie 402-VLZ3), active loudspeakers (QSC K8, 2) and USB Audio Interface (yet to buy, looking at Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 at the moment).

Should I place the audio interface between my mixer (Main Out or Tape Output?) and QSC's? I.e.:
  • Piano (Left and Right) to Mixer Line In 1 & Line In 2 (jack-jack)
  • Mixer Main Out to Audio Interface, Line In 1 & Line In 2 (jack-xlr)
  • Audio Interface Line Outputs (1&2) to QSC K8 Line In (jack-xlr)
  • Audio Interface USB to computer (usb)

If so, should I use the (unbalanced) Tape Output (RCA) or the (balanced or unbalanced) Main Out (Jack) from the mixer to the interface?

Thanks!

Thanks John. But what if for example I want to add my iPad to the mix and include my mixer in the setup? Before interface? Tape output (rca) or main out (jack)?

Use the balanced connections when possible, but don't worry too much about it. I haven't looked up the manual, but I find myself wondering if the tape outs are padded down for connection to -10dbV gear. In that case, just avoid them altogether.

Realize that if you want actual stereo from both the piano and iPad, and want to be able to adjust the mix between them, edit them individually, or add effects to one track separate from the other, then you'll have to record them separately -in two passes - in which case you're still better off just going straight to the interface from each. Maybe not as convenient with the plugging and replugging, but there's no good reason to add the noise from the mixer circuit if you can avoid it.

Realize that if you want actual stereo from both the piano and iPad, and want to be able to adjust the mix between them, edit them individually, or add effects to one track separate from the other, then you'll have to record them separately -in two passes - in which case you're still better off just going straight to the interface from each. Maybe not as convenient with the plugging and replugging, but there's no good reason to add the noise from the mixer circuit if you can avoid it.

Roger that! I'll make sure to drop the mixer if I want to record without the noise from its circuit.

But if I want to record something without plugging and replugging, the setup below will work?

setup.jpg

Thanks for all your help guys! I really appreciate it.

Yep! You really still can record them separately by just turning down the volume on the unused channels. There's really nothing wrong with this. The Mackie won't do you any favors, but with decent gain staging it shouldn't hurt too much either. Straight wire is always preferred when possible, though.

Quick followup question:

Right now, I'm using a USB cable to transmit MIDI between my piano and PC, but I noticed that the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (not the 2i2) has MIDI IN/OUT.

The 2i4 costs an additional $50 and I'll need a new pair of MIDI cables (another $25) to connect the Nord to the AI. Worth it or should I stick with the USB cable?

BTW, other AI's that I'm considering instead of the 2i4 are: Steinberg UR22 and the Roland UA-22 Duo-Capture EX. Both offer MIDI IN/OUT and I read some good things about both.

Unless you're noticing some problem with the way you're doing it now, or have other MIDI devices that you want to connect that don't have the USB thing, then there's no need for that. The MIDI function of any interface is completely separate from the audio with separate drivers and everything. There is no advantage to having them all in one box except convenience.

Use your NORD to USB to the computer MIDI the way you are doing it now,, NORD audio to the interface to the computer. Select the NORD as the the MIDI input device, the interface as hte audio input device.
What are you using hte iPad for (musically) - if it is just files (abckup music, etc), transfer the files to your computer, then insert as media items on new tracks in your DAW. No reason to convert to audio to the mixer to the interface back to to digital.

Back