Recording Setup issues

salfordranger

Hi sorry if this has already come up. I've looked about on google and this website and tried some things.

Problem is playback skipping/choppy. I have 6GB ram, i5 processor pc. Using Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 USB for recording. Sonar 8.5. I originally had the Driver mode set to MME (32 bit). This was difficult to use with the Latency and because i'm recording whilst listening to playback it becomes very difficult to work out the correct latency offset to use.

I then changed to ASIO for the lower latency and the automatic offset calculator but the chopping/ skipping started on playback. I increased the buffer to the max 10ms but it's still just as bad. I've tried stopping everything running that wasn't needed on the computer but it hasn't helped. I believe the CPU is running high whenever the skips/chops occur but it's hard to tell when the graphics are quick enough to follow them everytime.

If there's anything else i could do, maybe i'm running something wrong or wrong setting please help me. If there's a way to reduce the amount of processing done during playback that would help but my plan is to use other plugins in real time too so wouldn't help too much if it is a processor issue. I did download ASIO4ALL but i don't think i need it (could that be interferring with the 2i2's drivers?)
If there's nothing i can do i guess i'll have to go back to MME so if you know of any programs that can calculate the latency for MME that would be useful too.

Thanks for your time and help

10ms is very low latency - I think you've set it to the minimum. Try setting your buffer larger (I get faultless playback at 64 samples when recording; or 256 or 512 samples when mixing with lots of vst effects and instruments).

Hi, is that on ASIO then? That's more like the Latency i get at low buffer MME. When i go to Audio options with ASIO selected you have to go to an ASIO panel which selects the Focusrite USB buffer size. This only allows me to go up to 10ms

All the tracks i'm using are on the image. Other than Compressor, EQ and Gating on the original bass line i don't have anything else running.

Do you think it'd be a good idea to ask in another section of the Forum then?

had a try but it didn't help. It seems like a processor issue but i can't see what it is. The project i'm working has been saying that it can't open certain tracks and leaves some blank but when it opens there have been no empty tracks so just assumed everything's ok with that.

I've had problems like this when it was either faulty RAM or I've had to swap out the motherboard. Have you considered installing more RAM?

no i haven't really. I would have thought 6GB was enough. I haven't played about with the hardware since i got the laptop last year.

Back