Recording project charge. Any suggestions?

Hi:
I have been asked by a guy who write and records his music primarily to Africans, to help boost the music arrangement of music that he previously recorded. He did not like how some of the songs came out after he recorded them so he wants me to add more tracks and make it sound fuller. So basically I am adding to tracks that are already existing. I am also using my home recording studio to do the work. So I am to come up with ideas for his music (three of them altogether - actually he has nine of them but he wants me to start with three) and also record them. I've got to talk with him about how much to charge him for only those three songs. I want to be fair to him, and I also do not want to feel cheated. Any suggestions about how much? Don't worry about the fact that it is sold primarily in Africa. He markets his music online too, so Africans around the world can buy it. How much to charge for my studio time and also my ideas (adding instrumentation of 5 extra tracks minimum to 10 tracks maximum to each song)? I am doing the mixing too. What's a reasonable monetary figure assuming he'll try to bargain it down? Thank you.

Whatever you think is fair for that kind of work in your part of the world....what others charge.

IMO it would be better for both of you if you only worked on one song, to see if he'll like it, rather than 3 songs to find out he doesn't like it.

This may not make you as much up front, but wastes less of your time should he not pay and/or not like your contribution. My time is more valuable than the money (and writing, performing, and mixing parts is going to take time), however your situation might be different. You'll never make as much money as you should, so minimize the risk to your time.

Do it by the hour, if you give a fixed price the project will never be finished as he will keep wanting changes. Charge what you think you should get, do not charge what you think he will pay, if you under charge you will feel used if the project keeps rolling along past its use by date.

Alan.

Back