Recording problems

Bellz84

I know this maybe isn't the right place to put this, but i am desperate! I'm having problems recording using Cubase SX (version 2.0.1). Whenever i record one layer, it works fine. But if i try to record another layer while playing the first, it automatically doubles the first layer. Even having song playing on media player sends my input signal moving. I assume it's probably a problem with the sound card (realtek AC97). Please help! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Yo Bell-ringer:
:cool:

Call Sweetwater Sound and tell them you're a customer looking for some help. One of their techies should be able to solve your problem.

Green Hornet

BTW: The call is free too! :D

First of all, it'd help to get a sound card meant for recording.

With that said, double-click the sound icon in the bottom right corner of the screen.

When the window opens (with all the little sliders/faders on it) goto Options -> Properties and select Recording. Make sure all the little boxes are checked.

Click OK. Now you can select what you're using for recording. Check the box under "Line In" (also make sure you have your mic hooked into the line-in of the sound card).

Now it should record from Line In. It was probably set to "Stereo Mix" or "Wave".

Also, you can go back to the Playback properties and mute/unmute Line In to monitor while you're recording.

You may also have to configure Cubase but I've never used it.

Another option in Recording Preferences that'll do that is "What You Hear" (very common with the Creative cards - another reason to avoid them.

Rule #1 of Recording: On-board soundcards are made with less than $1 worth of parts and are NOT suitable for recording.
(Using thousand$ worth of instruments and programs through a $1 soundcard is NOT the way to go...)

Good recommendations and guide here:
http://www.tweakheadz.com/soundcards_for_the_home_studio.htm

Back