Recording from my MIDI Controller Keyboard

chuckerlaw

Hi,
I posted this on the n-Track board but no one replied so I'm trying here too.
I've got a USB powered MIDI Keyboard controller. I don't have a MIDI (joystick) port on my sound card (on board sound) so can I record this keyboard in n-Track?
Does it have to be plugged directly into the sound card?
Thanks,
Chucky

I think to connect any USB device to any other device you have to have USB connections on both.

A MIDI controller keyboard with no onboard sounds produces no sounds so you can't record anything with it on its own.

If you had the controller keyboard plugged into a sound module you could record in n-Track using an audio connection. The USB might still be a problem though. I'm not completely sure, not ever having used any USB devices myself. Maybe you can bypass the USB and just use it as a regular MIDI controller keyboard?

Last edited:
I want to record audio. I'm a guitarist so I don't really know a lot about keyboards or MIDI. I basically want my keyboard to behave like my guitar i.e. I plug it into my soundcard and hit record and I see (and hear) a track when I'm done.
Can I do this with a MIDI controller or do I need to buy a keyboard with a line out?
Thanks for the help!

A MIDI controller just sends data. It can't produce any sound. If you had a MIDI port on your computer and a soft synth on the computer you could use the MIDI controller to play the soft synth.

One thing you could do with your MIDI controller is buy a sound module, which is a synth without a keyboard designed to be played with a MIDI controller. You connect it to your MIDI controller with a MIDI lead, then play it just like a regular synth. Or you could get a desktop synth, which again is a synth without a keyboard, requiring a MIDI controller to play it.

Hope that helps.

Do you know this site: http://www.sospubs.co.uk

lots of useful info. there

Back