Recording Multiple Tracks General Question and EMU specfic Question.

Hatem

Hello ,

Let's start by giving some little information about what i have in mind , I'm currently planning to buy a new sound card which takes multiple inputs , to be more specific , i'm planning to buy either e-mu 1820 Card or emu 1616 pci ,and after choosing one of the previous cards , i'm thinking of adding one of the emu usb devices (the usb device will be portable and will have better ADC than the pci).

so the general question is:
Can the computer (specially the Hard Disk) , handle the process of recording 8 tracks at the same time , i mean aren't there lot of data coming in?.

The emu specific question:
Can the (8 analogue inputs + the digital inputs + midi) all be used at the same time?

One last question :
Can (or is it a wise practice) to use 2 recording devices at the same time (for example using the pci and the usb for recording at the same time on the same computer of course)??.

Regards

Last edited:
Hello ,

Let's start by giving some little information about what i have in mind , I'm currently planning to buy a new sound card which takes multiple inputs , to be more specific , i'm planning to buy either e-mu 1820 Card or emu 1616 pci ,and after choosing one of the previous cards , i'm thinking of adding one of the emu usb devices (the usb device will be portable and will have better ADC than the pci).

so the general question is:
Can the computer (specially the Hard Disk) , handle the process of recording 8 tracks at the same time , i mean aren't there lot of data coming in?.

The emu specific question:
Can the (8 analogue inputs + the digital inputs + midi) all be used at the same time?

One last question :
Can (or is it a wise practice) to use 2 recording devices at the same time (for example using the pci and the usb for recording at the same time on the same computer of course)??.

Regards

Get on the EMU board and ask these questions.

You will find a bunch of people who run them and have real experience with them.

Can the computer (specially the Hard Disk) , handle the process of recording 8 tracks at the same time , i mean aren't there lot of data coming in?
I've recorded 8 tracks (96khz/24bit) simultaneously on an old, dying, semi-faulty laptop and they were fine :D Laptop drives are slower than PC drives too.

I just hope that my new laptop can cope with playing back 20 at once, because that's what I'm going to be throwing at it next week :p If it can't then I'll cry.

I've recorded 8 tracks (96khz/24bit) simultaneously on an old, dying, semi-faulty laptop and they were fine :D Laptop drives are slower than PC drives too.

I just hope that my new laptop can cope with playing back 20 at once, because that's what I'm going to be throwing at it next week :p If it can't then I'll cry.

20 are very beyond my scope :D , so if u succeeded in recording 20 that'll be like the ultimate prove to me , so yeah , please keep me updated with how things will go next week , wish u luck (at least for my own benfit :P ) , no seriously wishing u luck :).

Back