recording karaoke and confused!

shandy

ok, right now I am recording my karaoke on an ipad app.

as soon as a i mention karaoke people think KARAOKE and i am not getting the answers I need.

here's the problem.....I am a serious kind of singer who uses karaoke because they are backing tracks and come with lyrics scrolling to make it easy for me.

but i want more control and wider choice of backing tracks (the karaoke type) because i dont play guitar well enough to do my voice justice.

so i was thinking about the focusrite scarlett 2i2 to plug in my behringer mic and headset.

but how do i play the downloaded backing tracks (karaoke) and record.

I have Audacity on my windows computer, can I use that to record. But does the software that comes with the scarlett let me import a backing track?? I just have no idea.

thanks if someone can give me the right advice

Hi Shandy,

Just to clarify, you already own a behringer microphone. What model is that?

You have access to premade backing tracks and would like to record your voice over the top, but have control to edit and manipulate your voice?
That's pretty standard.

Any decent audio interface with a mic preamp (almost always XLR input) will let you record a decent sounding vocal track, assuming the mic is OK,
and any multitrack recording software will let you import a backing track as one thing and record vocals as another.

I'm not 100% sure if audacity does that but Reaper certainly does and is free to download.

The NI Ka6 interface often gets recommended around here for value for money, although I have no experience of it myself.

Ya, backing tracks are quite popular outside of THAT vocal happy hour mainstay.

Import backing tracks into the DAW project and lay down new tracks. What DAW does lyrics, though : )

In the right circumstance, you can have your audio or MIDI bouncing ball open and playing, while recording it and your vocals in another program.

If u want the karaoke lyrics then u can record 2 tracks. 1 for ur vox and the other for the backing track. U will need an internal sound card and that 2i2. On the bottom right of ur computer is the speaker icon. Select ur internal sound card for playback device and the 2i2 for the recording device.
Open ur Daw and create 2 tracks with those devices just mentioned... And viola

When I mention Karaoke, people think karaoke? Er, what?

You have stereo tracks that are encoded with the lyrics - making them karaoke tracks. You wish to blend them with the 2i2? Seems a sensible way to work - so what don't you have - I'm just confused about where the problem is? what are you playing the tracks on? Record on audacity if you wish and then tweak the eq, and some effects maybe? Where is the snag that's causing you grief?

Back