Recording at home using NTG4 and Behringer 502USB

If I had to take a SWAG, it would be the pre amps in the mixer. The NTG4 will be much more sensitive than the HyperX. Do you have a dynamic mix you can test through your mixer?

hmm complete noob here.... whats a dynamic mix?

Your NTG4 is called a Condenser mic. Condenser mics are much more sensitive than dynamic mics. Condenser mics requires phantom power from 12 to 48 volts to make them work. Dynamic mics do not require phantom power. The pic below shows the background noise between the two audio files you provided. I am assuming your headset mic was not run through your mixer, is that correct?

View attachment 100400

Last edited:
also a condenser however some listings refer to them as a condenser dynamic?

Well I have never heard of that but than again, I learn new things every day. I looked up your mixer and it sells for around $35.00 if I am correct. Your mic list for around $300.00. IMHO, the mixer is the weak link in the chain.

spot on. headset is through usb.

OK, than that is why your headset mic is close to 10dbs softer than your $300.00 mic that was run through your mixer. Also, make sure you have your phantom power turned on for your condenser mic. If your mixer does not have this ability to provide phantom power, than that could very well be your problem.

Well I have never heard of that but than again, I learn new things every day. I looked up your mixer and it sells for around $35.00 if I am correct. Your mic list for around $300.00. IMHO, the mixer is the weak link in the chain.

this is the mixer i have

Behringer XENYX Q502USB Compact Mixer

i also have its big daddy the Q1204USB

BEHRINGER Q1204USB 12 input USB Mixer

i bought the 502 for space reasons but even if i use the Q1204 it sounds the same.

---------- Update ----------

OK, than that is why your headset mic is close to 10dbs softer than your $300.00 mic that was run through your mixer. Also, make sure you have your phantom power turned on for your condenser mic. If your mixer does not have this ability to provide phantom power, than that could very well be your problem.

Phantom power definitely on. Mic will not function without it.

this is the mixer i have

Behringer XENYX Q502USB Compact Mixer

i also have its big daddy the Q1204USB

BEHRINGER Q1204USB 12 input USB Mixer

i bought the 502 for space reasons but even if i use the Q1204 it sounds the same.

---------- Update ----------

Phantom power definitely on. Mic will not function without it.

Well it seems that you have every thing going in the right direction. You could very well have a defective mic. I know I have returned a few as they did not work correctly right out of the box. I am sorry I could have not been more help. I am sure others will chime in on your thread and maybe they can give you some other suggestions to try.

Well it seems that you have every thing going in the right direction. You could very well have a defective mic. I know I have returned a few as they did not work correctly right out of the box. I am sorry I could have not been more help. I am sure others will chime in on your thread and maybe they can give you some other suggestions to try.

could the environment be a factor? im using it inside a bedroom turned office. right behind me is a wall and i sit between the mic and wall.... but i figured that would account for the slight ecco but not the noise...

Your recording environment will always be a factor on your noise floor/background noise. Since you have a high dollar mic, it may be picking up anything from outside noises to noises due to where your have your equipment plugged into. It may be electrical noise. In other words, you really do not want your recording equipment plugged in to the same outlet that maybe also provides power to the microwave or ac unit. It does not have to come from the same power outlet, simply the same circuit that leads back to the panel/breaker box.

Try plugging your mixer into a different circuit/outlet and moving your mic inside of a closet and do another test. It may make a difference.

The HyperX Cloud II mic was likely pretty close to your mouth. Try the NTG4 about the same distance adjusting the mixer gain accordingly. I'm thinking I hear noise and echo from the room, but may be wrong.

I bought a Behr USB mixer about 5 years ago, got it home, and not only were the preamps weak (I had SHure SM58 and 57), but there was a ton of hiss, and I went I turned up the mains to get the USB louder, there was a whine that only got worse as the volume went over 50%. I returned it the next day for a Mackie mixer. The preamps are much better on it, but as soon as the USB is cranked over 50%, you hear that whine - but the Mackie has a separate volume control for USB, which the Behr does not have. Ultimately USB mixers such as these only give 16 bit depth.
I've got a small Behr mixer now, too, for live use. That's what mixers are really designed for.
For recording, use a dedicated USB audio interface.

Last edited:
Regarding the echo sound...... What is behind the mic? The mic is a supercardioid pattern which has a lobe of sensitivity behind the mic. If there is a computer monitor or wall behind the mic it could pickup a reflection of your voice (or anything else that produces noise).
Polar Patterns – Part 3: Supercardioid

- If you plug headphones into the mixer do you hear the hiss or is it only when recorded?
- How are you setting the gain and levels?

Attachments

• gain.jpg
    gain.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 3
Back