Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Recording at home using NTG4 and Behringer 502USB

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by Mack Caster View Post
    Well it seems that you have every thing going in the right direction. You could very well have a defective mic. I know I have returned a few as they did not work correctly right out of the box. I am sorry I could have not been more help. I am sure others will chime in on your thread and maybe they can give you some other suggestions to try.
    could the environment be a factor? im using it inside a bedroom turned office. right behind me is a wall and i sit between the mic and wall.... but i figured that would account for the slight ecco but not the noise...

Thanks
    Your recording environment will always be a factor on your noise floor/background noise. Since you have a high dollar mic, it may be picking up anything from outside noises to noises due to where your have your equipment plugged into. It may be electrical noise. In other words, you really do not want your recording equipment plugged in to the same outlet that maybe also provides power to the microwave or ac unit. It does not have to come from the same power outlet, simply the same circuit that leads back to the panel/breaker box.

Try plugging your mixer into a different circuit/outlet and moving your mic inside of a closet and do another test. It may make a difference.

Thanks
    The HyperX Cloud II mic was likely pretty close to your mouth. Try the NTG4 about the same distance adjusting the mixer gain accordingly. I'm thinking I hear noise and echo from the room, but may be wrong.
    Mark.......

Thanks
    I bought a Behr USB mixer about 5 years ago, got it home, and not only were the preamps weak (I had SHure SM58 and 57), but there was a ton of hiss, and I went I turned up the mains to get the USB louder, there was a whine that only got worse as the volume went over 50%. I returned it the next day for a Mackie mixer. The preamps are much better on it, but as soon as the USB is cranked over 50%, you hear that whine - but the Mackie has a separate volume control for USB, which the Behr does not have. Ultimately USB mixers such as these only give 16 bit depth.
    I've got a small Behr mixer now, too, for live use. That's what mixers are really designed for.
    For recording, use a dedicated USB audio interface.
    Last edited by mjbphotos; 1 Week Ago at 03:54.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

Thanks
    Regarding the echo sound...... What is behind the mic? The mic is a supercardioid pattern which has a lobe of sensitivity behind the mic. If there is a computer monitor or wall behind the mic it could pickup a reflection of your voice (or anything else that produces noise).
    Polar Patterns – Part 3: Supercardioid

- If you plug headphones into the mixer do you hear the hiss or is it only when recorded?
    - How are you setting the gain and levels?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gain-jpg  
    Mark.......

Thread Information